4 Livelihood Coordinators
Jobs at:Save the Children
Deadline of this Job:
26 March 2021
Date Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Save the Children seeks 4 Livelihood project coordinators for a USAID-funded Multi-sectoral Nutrition Activity in Tanzania. The Livelihood coordinator will be responsible for work planning, coordination, and technical implementation of innovative integrated nutrition livelihood activities in the target districts. He/she will work closely with LGAs, CSOs, private stakeholders and communities to coordinate capacity building, and onsite mentorship to ensure Successful implementation of the project activities as per the detailed implementation plan. He/she will be required to maintain strong coordination with the MEAL, SBC advisor, and nutrition coordinator to ensure progress is achieved towards nutrition targets.
S/he will establish and maintain close and effective liaison with government partners at LGAs and communities to facilitate flow of information, reports and updates including staying abreast of current trends and innovation related to project result area. He/she will participate in relevant agriculture and livelihoods working groups and policy fora at regional and district levels.
Scope of Role:
Save the Children has been operational in Tanzania since 1986 providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered in support of Government of Tanzania priorities and policies both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, Health & nutrition and emergency response. In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined programmes of SCUK, SCUS, SC Sweden to create a single operation in Tanzania. We currently have an operational presence in Dodoma, Singida Shinyanga, Zanzibar, Songwe, Kigoma and Dar es Salaam and we work through partners in other parts of the country.
Reports to: Project Area Manager .
Key Areas of Accountability:
• The overall objective of this position is to improve Food Security and Nutrition and ultimately contribute to reducing the high stunting rate in Tanzania particularly in the designated regions. The specific objective is to improve access to and use sufficient and nutritious food through behaviour change, sustainable and improved production and the diversification of food crops in Dodoma, Morogoro, Iringa and Rukwa Regions.
• Lead, in the collaboration with the Nutrition, SBC Advisor, MEAL team in the implementation, monitoring and adaptation of nutrition sensitive livelihood practices through increased knowledge of better agricultural practices and innovative income generating activities at household and community level.
• Provide technical support through coaching and mentorship for quality implementation of livelihood activities at community level
• In collaboration with district agricultural, irrigation and livestock officers, ward extension agricultural officers identify village models farmers and establish community agricultural demonstration and learning sites for production, small livestock and preservation technologies.
• Coordinate farmers’ field days by linking together different players for technology exhibition, technical and marketing information sharing as well as B to B linkages including income generating opportunities with private investors/stakeholders.
• Support communities in the formation of village Savings and Loans Groups (VICOBAS) and coordinate capacity building activities related to VICOBAs and other income generating opportunities
• Lead trainings at community levels related to affordable and sustainable technologies related to production, food preservation and storage practices.
• Provide ongoing coaching and mentorship to model farmers to ensure adaption of improved production and livestock practices.
• Work in collaboration with the MEAL team and Livelihood advisor to develop quality benchmarks for livelihood activities.
• Draft activity monthly and quarterly reports on livelihood related activities
• Establish and maintain solid collaboration with target relevant LGA departments and staff during planning, budgeting, implementation and monitoring of agriculture, VICOBA and small livestock related activities.
• Establish and maintain coordination and collaboration with private sector stakeholders in the respective regions including participation on PPP related working groups in the target region.
• Provide timely and accurate written and verbal reporting.
• Contribute to project strategic planning and to well-written, focused project reports, annual implementation plans, success stories and other written products.
• Ensure high quality project implementation, monitoring and reporting.
• Make regular field visits to monitor project quality and collect data.
• Collaborate with MEAL staff to ensure that collection and analysis of data is accurate, rigorous and incorporated into project implementation.
• Coordinate with SBC Advisor and Nutrition Project Coordinator’s in work planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting, and adaptation
• Participate in technical working groups, district relevant meetings and liaise with other project implementing organizations.
• Serve as a livelihood focal point for LGAs, community and other implementing stakeholders at district level
Behaviors (Values in Practice)
holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values;
holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved;
sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same;
widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale;
builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters;
values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength;
approachable, good listener, easy to talk to;
develops and encourages new and innovative solutions;
willing to take disciplined risks;
honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity;
Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in agriculture, animal science or related field.
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant field experience with an international organization in agriculture and livestock programming
• Strong technical grasp of agriculture, livestock, climate change adaptation (CCA), environmental safeguard strategies, and natural resource management.
• Experience, knowledge and skills in improved horticulture and or general crop production, demonstration farms, agricultural extension agent engagement, food preservation, and post-harvest handling and storage practices
• Demonstrated experience in project and time management
• Excellent writing and oral communication skills in English required
• Demonstrated experience in working effectively with CSOs and community-level actors, stakeholders and beneficiaries
• Experience applying and knowledge of the design, implementation and best practices for promoting behaviour change and adoption of improved practices and technologies in agriculture and livestock programming
• Significant knowledge of agriculture, food security, nutrition and gender issues in Tanzania and in particular Dodoma, Morogoro, Rukwa and Iringa Regions is an addition advantage
• Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations and independently
• Familiarity and understanding of donor policies and procedures is a plus
• Local candidates are encouraged to apply
• The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
• The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures;
• We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
• The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
• The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Please read the full details of the position at https://tanzania.savethechildren.net/careers and apply as instructed. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for Interview.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.