Accountant - Chake Chake and Mkoani, Pemba Island, Zanzibar
Jobs at:Lay Volunteers International Association (LVIA) Tanzania
Deadline of this Job:
Sunday, October 22 2023
Date Posted: Friday, October 13 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Accountant at Lay Volunteers International Association (LVIA) Tanzania October, 2023
LVIA is looking for a Accountant for the EU funded project entitled” Kijani Pemba – Strenghtening Urban Eco-Resilience in Chake Chake and Mkoani”
Project Location: Chake Chake and Mkoani, Pemba Island, Zanzibar
Office Location: Chake Chake
Starting date: November 2023, 12 months’ contract, renewable
Salary: tsh 1,000,000 – 1,200,000 according to the experience and level of education of the selected candidate.
Who we are
Lay Volunteers International Association (LVIA) is an Italian NGO working in ten African Countries including Tanzania with Headquarters in Cuneo Italy while in Tanzania our offices are in Kongwa District of Dodoma Region (P.O.BOX 160, Kongwa). LVIA has been working in Tanzania for more than 30 years in supporting the community development especially on agriculture, health, and the improvement of access to potable water and hygiene.
LVIA is looking for a Accountant to be employed in the framework of the EU funded project “Kijani Pemba – Strengthening Urban Eco-Resilience in Chake Chake and Mkoani”
The specific objective of the project is to promote inclusive and sustainable growth in Chake Chake and Mkoani areas, South Pemba, by increasing climate urban resilience and access to basic services, socio-economic opportunities and decision making, especially for women and youth in the urban poor communities.
This objective can be achieved through the following expected results:
• improved dialogue for participatory and coherent territorial planning among Local Authorities, communities and CSO;
• improved connectivity, coverage and access to safe water and sanitation, for public and social facilities, with a specific focus on girls and women’s access to services;
• socio-economic inclusion and economic empowerment of young people, girls and women, is promoted through environmentally sensitive waste management services and green small local businesses.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Project Coordinator and Country Representative the Accountant will be responsible of the following duties:
• Responsible for the financial management and reporting of the project, in collaboration
• with the Project coordinator and under the supervision of the Country Administrator in Dodoma and in Italy
• Follow procedures and guidelines to accurately maintain the organization’s financial records and transactions
• Ensuring the timely payment of taxes & insurance, keeping track of staff annual leaves
• Managing the monthly payroll of LVIA staff
• Collects and analyses accounting documents, prepares bank transfers, ordinary and tax
• payments, manages tenders, procurements and purchases on site.
• Performing day-to-day accounting activities – registrations, cheques, bank transfers,
• Updating the LVIA accounting software, checking the bank & cash balances at the end of
• each month
• Checking accountancy documents from partner organizations regarding their eligibility
• Preparing all the necessary documents for external auditing
• Able to give great attention to details, prioritazing and meeting multiple deadlines
• Good interpersonal communication, report writing and computing skills
• Be well organized and work independently and as part of a team
• Problem solving skills
• Sensitive to gender equality issues
• At least bachelor’s degree, preferably in Accounting, Finance, or equivalent & CPA Holder;
• Minimum 3 years of relevant professional experience as Accountant, Finance officer
• or related, including supervisory experience;
• Previous experiences with international NGOs and donor funded projects
• Proven experience in preparing budgets, compiling & analyzing data, and preparing
• financial reports
• Experience in supporting EU project implementation and knowledge of PRAG 2021
• Knowledge of local laws, codes and regulations
• Proficiency in English and proven ability to write official reports and documents in English and Kiswahili;
• Computer literature, advanced Excel;
The Employee is requested to keep a flexible attitude and good degree of adaptation to possible modifications and/or integration to the foreseen duties on the basis of necessities that may arise locally, and to make an effort to integrate his/her work in the wider context of LVIA presence in Tanzania in order to facilitate consistency and continuity among current and prospective projects.
Relevant courses / certificates
• Knowledge of various accounting tools (NPS, etc.)
• Valid motorcycle riding permit
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
We want to make sure we select candidates who pay attention to details and are able to understand and follow organizational procedures.
Only the applications adhering to the following instructions will be taken into consideration: Submit your application via email before 12:00 (EAT) of the 22nd of October 2023 to this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org The object shall state: “Accountant”.
Attach your Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter, with a minimum of three references
Do NOT attach at this stage Certificates or Transcripts; we will request them only for shortlisted candidates.
LVIA is sensitive to equal employment rights for vulnerable groups, so we particularly encourage applications from women and people with disabilities.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.