Associate Country Economist
Jobs at:World Bank
Deadline of this Job:
Friday, December 22 2023
Date Posted: Friday, December 08 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Roles & Responsibilities:
• Monitor the macro-economic conditions and trends for countries in a designated IFC country cluster and advise the IFC Country Manager and operational teams on its impact on IFC operations. Help identify macro-economic risks to IFC investments and strategies to mitigate them.
• Maintain close liaison with World Bank teams, other development partners and client governments to help ensure that IFC engagements are aligned with WBG strategies and government development strategies.
• Provide macro-economic analysis to support IFC investment operations including due diligence. Draft relevant sections of IFC Board papers including country context and strategic fit.
• Lead/ Contribute to Country Private Sector Diagnostics, Country Climate Development Reports, and provide IFC input to WBG Systematic Country Diagnostics, Country Partnership Frameworks, Progress and Learning Reviews and other joint initiatives.
• Support IFC Country Manager and teams to develop IFC country strategies to help maximize IFC development impact. Support the development of industry strategies in the region. Monitor and support the implementation of Country Private Sector Diagnostic recommendations, sectoral deep dives, and policy reform implementation.
• Contribute to analytical work on selected topics that inform IFC country programs and strategies.
• Master’s degree in Economics or closely related field with a minimum of 3-7 years of relevant experience, or with PhD and 2-4 years of relevant experience.
• Ability to apply economic theory and concepts and demonstrate a solid understanding of key drivers of economic growth in emerging markets and to contribute to discussions with internal clients on topics of economic or strategic relevance.
• Ability to carry out analytical work and demonstrate judgement in making sound assumptions when there are gaps in data and information.
• Ability to assess market failures and economic soundness and feasibility of policy options to enhance investment attractiveness and private sector development, from a cross-cutting and sectoral perspective. Ability to understand the economic parameters behind private investment decision making.
• Ability to consider problems from new perspectives and expand on the thinking/solutions proposed by others; independent engagement in analysis and tasks requiring the interpretation of complex or imperfect sets of information.
• Logical, coherent approach to economic/strategic questions based on own work and an awareness of organizational or departmental strategies.
• Ability to communicate clearly economic and technical concepts to non-technical audience and present key messages and most relevant findings in compelling manner and appropriately embed empirical support for conclusions and recommendations.
• Demonstrate good command of the economics of a particular sector & key drivers of sector growth, productivity, profitability & efficiency.
• Ability to build strong work relationships with colleagues across operational teams, country teams and organizations within the World Bank Group.
• Experience in and strong knowledge of the economic context and challenges of countries in Africa.
• Solid over standing of IFC project cycles, approval/decision processes, and key drivers of IFC business decision making as well as knowledge and understanding of key IFC/WBG products and instruments and how they are deployed to pursue private sector development and country engagement.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with high level stakeholders in English and French.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 48
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.