Care and Treatment Advisor, TPDF Program
Deadline of this Job:
28 April 2021
Date Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
About HJFMRI Tanzania Program
The Walter Reed Program Tanzania (WRP-T) is a collaborative effort that supports PEPFAR-funded HIV prevention and treatment activities in the Southern Highlands and within the Tanzania People’s Defense Forces (TPDF). HJF Medical Research International, Inc Tanzania (HJFMRI-T) is a local non-profit that has supported these efforts since 2004 for the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR). PEPFAR activities are conducted in close collaboration with the Tanzania Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children; and the President’s Office of the Regional Administration and Local Government (PORALG), through the Regional and Council Health Management Teams.
HJFMRI-T provides care and treatment to people affected by HIV/AIDS and has been actively involved in HIV and AIDS programming, providing resources, personnel, and services to the Southern Highlands Zone. The program has expanded from supporting the Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital to becoming a hub for antiretroviral treatment in the zone; to community support through decentralized services, with the overall objective of implementing research, clinical HIV, prevention, care, and treatment services. HJFMRI-T currently focuses specifically on four regions in the Southern Highlands zone, namely Mbeya, Rukwa, Katavi, Songwe, and Ruvuma for VMMC services only. The program also supports TPDF to implement a comprehensive HIV prevention care and treatment program in 21 sites throughout the country.
Job Title: Care and Treatment Advisor, TPDF Program
Reports to: Chief of Party, TPDF Program
Location: Dares Salaam
About HJF Medical Research International (HJFMRI):
With headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland, HJFMRI works to support global health programs in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Nigeria, and Thailand. The Global Health Program in Tanzania works in tandem with the Tanzania People’s Defense Forces (TPDF), Ministry of Health Community Development Gender Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC), and President’s Office – Regional Administration and Local Government (PORALG) and in collaboration with nongovernment entities (NGO), Community-Based Organizations (CBO), and Faith-Based Organizations (FBO) with the purpose of creating a lasting health change in Tanzania. Our commitment to partnerships at every level and our multidisciplinary approach enable us to have a lasting impact on the communities.
The purpose of this position is to provide input into the development of technical program activities for clinically related Adult and Children Care and Treatment of HIV/AIDS in support of the PEPFAR- funded program within the TPDF. The Care and Treatment Technical Advisor will provide technical advice and direction on the scale-up of quality HIV/AIDS Care and Treatment services. S/he will be part of the team of clinical experts whose focus will mainly be on the provision of Technical support on comprehensive clinical care, development of country operational plan inputs, and reporting activities, as well as supportive supervision and mentorship to sites. S/he is responsible for sharing information for actions that emerge from the meetings/conferences and working groups (TWGs) and all others on a timely and regular basis. The position is based in Dar es Salaam with frequent traveling to all supported TPDF health facilities in-country. This position will be reporting to the Chief of Party. .
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provides technical support and advice to the senior leadership in the planning and implementation of HIV & AIDS- related services supported by HJFMRI within the TPDF.
• Takes a lead role in the planning of HIV Care & Treatment activities, including allocation of targets and budgets under the USG PEPFAR planning process;
• Provides direct technical assistance to TPDF health facility staff on all issues related to HIV care and treatment services such as; activity and budget planning, site development, training of staff in the clinical management of individuals with HIV/AIDS, clinical mentoring, patient flow analysis, improvement of adherence support systems, improvement of referral systems, etc.
• Build the capacity of TPDF Healthcare providers at all levels, in the areas of technical planning, management and monitoring, and evaluation for antiretroviral therapy programs.
• Provides linkage between HJFMRI management and TPDF through USG/DOD to ensure effective implementation of the PEPFAR/HJFMRI goals.
• Attends planning and technical meetings organized by USG and/or GOT.
• Participates in providing technical support services such as laboratory, drug security, and drug forecasting and quantification.
• In collaboration with the TPDF Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor, leads the process of data collection, analysis, and dissemination of information about HIV/AIDS care and treatment program achievements and lessons learned, and provides recommendations/solutions for improvements.
• Advises on linkages and synergies between ART, HTC, PMTCT, TB, STI, Reproductive Health and Family Planning and other public health programs;
• Participates in appraisals of program operational efficiency and target setting;
• Keeps track of re-programming areas and advises appropriately and in a timely manner to meet USG/PEPFAR requirements;
• Documents notes for HJFMRI, USG, and TPDF meetings and shares them with the Senior HJFMRI Technical team to ensure strategic and informed program decisions;
• Ensures that HJFMRI-supported clinical care activities at multiple delivery sites conform to PEPFAR priorities and the Tanzanian national guidelines;
• Ensures quality HIV and TB services are provided in HJFMRI-supported sites;
• Takes leadership and provides innovative approaches that would ensure index testing and optimized PITC services are routinely provided in all high volume supported facilities;
Job Skills : Not Specified
Required Skills, Knowledge, & Experience:
• Medical Degree is mandatory; Masters of Public Health training will be an added advantage.
• Minimum of five years’ experience working with HIV/AIDS Care and Treatment programs.
• Proven interpersonal skills in working effectively as a member of a team and independently.
• Ability to deal effectively and diplomatically with multiple government agencies, nongovernmental organizations, faith-based organizations, and the private sector
• Strong planning and management skills
• Ability to work independently with strong problem-solving skills
• Computer literacy
• Proven verbal and written communication skills including a demonstrated ability to write technical documents and give state-of-the-art presentations
• Willingness to travel in-country up to 40% of the time building capacity of facility-based TPDF health care workers in the supported sites
• Fluency in English and Swahili
• Willingness to work overtime and on weekends
• Willingness to abide by all ethics and compliance policies of HJFMRI
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Cover letters and resumes should be sent by mail through post/EMS/DHL/ or any reliable Courier to the Human Resources and Administration Manager, P.O. Box 6396, Mbeya, or sent through e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: To be considered, applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE.
Applications that are hand-delivered will not be accepted. The deadline for submitting the application is April 28, 2021. Those who do not meet the minimum requirements, as detailed in the job description below, will not be considered.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.