Deputy Chief of Party/Director of Finance & Administration
Jobs at:Abt Associates
Deadline of this Job:
Sunday, December 17 2023
Date Posted: Thursday, November 23 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Solving the world’s most pressing issues and improving the quality of life for people worldwide is what we do every day at Abt Associates. Creating a more equitable world is no small task, but we are driven by big challenges.
We are a team of 3,000+ people in over 50 countries working in unison and focused on the bigger picture. Only by sharing our commitment, energy, and innovation do we affect change and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We welcome diverse ideas, backgrounds, and viewpoints – joining Abt means access to exceptional thinkers at the top of their game.
To thrive at Abt is to embrace flexibility and collaboration. Our open culture allows you to balance your work and personal life as needed to optimize personal well-being. Creating a more equitable world starts from within – we look after people around the world, and we’ll do the same for you.
Ready to embrace rewarding and meaningful work? Now’s your chance.
Abt Associates is preparing for an upcoming USAID-funded Malaria Vector Control Activity in Tanzania. The project will identify and implement proven, evidence-based vector control approaches in Tanzania, in support of reducing the overall malaria burden, and moving Tanzania closer to malaria elimination.
As the Chief of Party, you will be responsible for the overall leadership and technical direction of the entire project activity, for ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors, and for achieving the results defined in the project’ scope of work. The COP has the final authority within the project team for decisions related to technical, management, contractual, resource allocation and personnel issues. The COP will be accountable for the successful implementation of all aspects of the project. In carrying out these responsibilities the COP works in partnership with USAID, the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP), national and local government, non-government agencies and officials, and community-level organizations and other partners, and project staff. The position is anticipated to be full-time for the duration of the program and is intended to be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The position is contingent upon the activity’s award and USAID approval.
• Develop and maintain sound financial management systems in line with USAID rules and regulations, accounting best practices and Abt Associates policies and procedures.
• Lead the development, monitoring, and review of project budgets in line with national laws, donor regulations and corporate policies.
• Produce budget projections and reports for submission to USAID and Abt home office.
• Understand Abt’s financial and operations tools, systems, and policies and oversee their application and implementation in the field.
• Support the startup, general operations, and closedown of the project.
• Inform and ensure the global support team is updated on all contractual, financial and legal issues affecting the project.
• Ensure timely completion of month-end and year-end accounting closes, with appropriate supporting documentation for all accounting transactions uploaded to Abt’s accounting system.
• Organize the orientation and provision of continuous training/ skills building for all relevant field staff on financial and operations policies and procedures, and finance, accounting, project management and operations.
• Review financial analyses and budget vs. expense reports to determine reasonableness of variances and take appropriate actions as required.
• Liaise regularly with the senior management team providing relevant and timely financial information for planning and decision-making purposes.
• Oversee financial audits.
• Directly supervise Finance, Operations and Administration staff, ensuring that functions are performed timely and accurately.
• Ensure implementation of and adherence of Abt Associates Human Resources policies including compliance with national labor law.
• Negotiate with vendors for the best terms for procuring goods, supplies, and services in compliance with USAID and Abt Associates policies and procedures.
• Perform any other related activities as assigned
What We Value
• Bachelor’s Degree + Fifteen years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree + Twelve years of relevant experience, or PhD + Ten years of relevant experience
• Master’s degree in relevant area of expertise preferred, such as business administration, finance, or international development. Bachelor’s degree required.
• Minimum of 7 years of experience managing finance and operations for USAID-funded projects in Tanzania; in-depth knowledge of USAID financial management rules and regulations.
• In-depth knowledge of US Government rules and regulations.
• Proven ability to prepare multi-year budgets, donor financial reports and USAID audits.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government representatives, private sector entities, local organizations, donors and other stakeholders, particularly at the sub-national level.
• Demonstrated experience building local capacity.
• Strong analytical, leadership and interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations.
• Experience as a coach/mentor to train staff and develop financial skills of colleagues.
• Fluency in English required, Swahili desired.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 180
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.