E T Consultant (Statistical training expert and training coordinator)
Jobs at:World Bank
Deadline of this Job:
07 April 2021
Date Posted: Friday, March 26, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
Tanzania’s statistical system has progressed over the years and has ranked consistently above the average for Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) along the World Bank’s Statistical Capacity Indicator (SCI). However, gaps remain in a range of areas including completeness and consistency of data collection, data analysis, and in terms of statistical skills of government officials. The latter is key for promoting a better use of available data to underpin policy-discussions and making sure decisions are grounded in high quality evidence.
The European Union, through its World Bank administered project on ‘Development Support to Tanzania Statistics’ is providing support to further boost national statistical development. The project objective is to support the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) and the Office of the Chief Government Statistician (OCGS) to improve quality, timeliness, and relevance of national statistics through two main components: (1) supporting data collection and (2) strengthening statistical capacity through technical assistance.
The project supports the implementation of three surveys: the National Panel Survey (NPS), the National Agriculture Sample Census (NASC) and the Integrated Labor Force Survey (ILFS). Additionally, the project helps the development of geographical information systems to update population shifts in key enumeration area boundaries and digitalise their boundaries in support of computing survey sampling weights.
The project’s technical assistance component seeks to further strengthening the statistical capacity in country by advancing the skills of the government workforce. This is done through technical support to survey implementation and a series of hands-on and on-the-job training courses on a range of topics. A comprehensive set of training courses are foreseen for 2021 to 2023 to strengthen the statistical skills of the staff of the national statistical offices in Dodoma and Zanzibar, as well sector ministry staff at the national and local government staff. Specific skills that will be strengthened include: data quality monitoring using Computer Assisted Personal Interviewing (CAPI), data cleaning and validation, basic and advanced data analysis using ADePT, Excel, Stata and SPSS as well as data interpretation, communication and preparation, report writing, release of micro-datasets to users, and the use of GIS and spatial data analysis. The trainings will be applied in nature and integrated into survey activities whenever possible.
A training plan has been drafted by NBS and OCGS and this Terms of Reference (ToR) regards an assignment for an extended term consultant to support the design, implementation and evaluation of the training plan. .
Scope of Work and Activities
• Finalize the detailed design of the practical training courses that strengthen statistical skills that people need in their day-to-day job, in close collaboration with staff and management of NBS, OCGS and government ministries. The trainings could consist of on-line and face-to-face components.
• Assist in identifying relevant training institutions and experts to prepare and lead or co-lead the training. It is expected that each training will have one lead trainer and two assistants to support/ supervise the hands-on training sessions where participants will practice with the newly available datasets.
• Ensure that each training is well-prepared and is of high training standards, reflecting current thinking on effective training methods, and makes use of technological innovations for interaction, data sharing and conducting assignments and lecture sessions. Where appropriate, trainings should combine online as well as face-to-face training sessions.
• Assist with the logistical preparations of each training in close collaboration with staff of the NBS, OCGS and World Bank offices.
• Prepare and lead or co-lead several training courses .
• Support, monitor and supervise each training, trouble shoot and assist where needed and ensure each training is of high standards and well evaluated to assess the skills gained by participants and obtain their feedback. Explore the idea of conducting a pilot for each training. Distil lessons learned and identify follow-up steps.
• Keep the NBS EUTF project manager and the World Bank Task Team Leader well informed with regards to preparation, implementation and evaluation of the training plan, including financial management.
• Help make sure training material is well stored for future use, and made available for all participants and other staff through relevant websites.
• Prepare quarterly and annual progress reports.
• Participate in Steering Committee meeting to present progress reports on the training plan.
• Concept notes that spell out the details of each training, including the exact training objective, targeted audience and selection criteria for participation, training modalities including online and face-to-face mix, training logistics, required training material, datasets to be used and prepared, uploading of software packages.
• Identification of lead trainers and co-trainers who are well-versed in the subject and in training methods.
• A detailed program of each training to be developed by the lead trainer with help from the Statistical Training Expert and Coordinator. This includes the day-to-day program including the timing and topics of lectures, exercises and practical assignments.
• A clear plan for the logistical and financial arrangements for each training, developed in close collaboration with NBS, OCGS and WB administrative staff.
• Delivered trainings for those trainings where the Expert will be the lead trainer or co- trainer.
• Completed reports and evaluations of each training that identifies what went well, what could be improved, lessons learned and gaps.
• Proposals for follow-up steps including follow-up trainings and or other technical support where needed to address remaining issues and shortcomings to make sure participants will be well able to apply the skills into their day-to-day work.
• Design trainings for these follow-up steps.
• Quarterly and semi-annual progress reports.
Job Skills : Not Specified
The ideal candidate has the following qualifications and experience:
• A master’s degree in a relevant discipline and a minimum of 8 years of relevant statistical work experience.
• Good knowledge of principles of survey statistics, including survey design, data quality control, data analysis and interpretation and communication of findings. Experience working in and/or with producers of official statistics is preferred.
• Knowledge of statistical software packages
• Experience in designing and implementing high quality and interactive hands-on training sessions (online and face-to-face), preferably in statistics, that meet requirements for effective adult learning
• Team worker and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
• A self-starter with excellent team playing skills;
• Excellent communications skills (written and oral);
• Fluency in English. Knowledge of Swahili is preferred.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 96
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Interested applicants please visit: https://worldbankgroup.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=11344&site=1
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.