Jobs at:UN Women
Deadline of this Job:
28 June 2022
Date Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Finance Analyst works in close collaboration with Finance Section HQ, Regional Operations Manager and Finance Specialist, Programme and Operations colleagues, teams at the country level, UNDP staff and Government officials ensuring high performance and efficiency in Finance.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage the financial planning, analysis, and provision of services to CO in accordance with UN Women internal control framework, rules, regulations, policies and procedures
• Recommend and/or implement cost saving and reduction strategies.
• Review and/or verify financial transactions/activities, recording/reporting system and audit reports. Co-ordinate with Finance Section RO and HQ on suggestions for amendments.
• Review financial business processes and use of Atlas system to ensure accurate and complete reporting of financial transactions by UN Women staff in accordance with the Internal Control Framework and Delegation of Authority and the timely flow of financial information in UN Women for management, monitoring and oversight purposes.
• Analyze and oversee all financial resources managed by the CO and provide high-quality professional advice on financial issues to management, as necessary.
• Coordinate cash management processes, including liquidity management, recommend imprest (petty cash) level, risk assessment, security for cash assets on site.
• Assist with financial risk assessment reviews for the CO, by identifying areas of risk and providing recommendations and action plans for addressing issues raised.
• Coordinate the monitoring and oversight of financial systems in accordance with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures
• Monitor financial systems and reports for unusual activities, transactions, investigate anomalies.
• Coordinate the CO timely completion of finance areas of the Month-end Instructions Checklist and Year-end Instructions Closure Checklist;
• Draft all financial reports in accordance with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and ensure continued compliance. Monitor the CO for compliance with IPSAS accounting standards by reviewing business processes and systems modules resulting in IPSAS compliant general ledger and financial statements.
• Review Implementing Partner advance procedures and test against UN Women policies to ensure compliance. Investigate and follow up on any anomalies for timely action and resolution, as necessary.
• Provide oversight to ensure the proper follow up of advances to implementing partners, review their financial reports together with project managers.
• Monitor the financial status and under the guidance of the Operations Manager implement control mechanisms for management/development projects.
• Review all contractual arrangements with suppliers of goods and services to ensure that the financial terms and conditions of all contracts are being adhered to by the suppliers of goods and services.
• Report to Operations Manager any case of non-adherence for timely action and recommendations for actions/decisions, as necessary.
• Respond to questions and provide analysis as requested to the Finance Section HQ.
• Coordinate financial reporting in the CO in accordance with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures
• Track and report contributions within the resource mobilization efforts, including pipeline, contracted and overdue and future milestones. Review contributions receivables and provide information to Operations Manager for follow up, as necessary.
• Follow up and/or take prompt action to respond to audit and other findings on financial management.
• Coordinate the audit process in accordance with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures
• Coordinate the pre-audit preparations for financial management of the CO to be audit ready and complete the pre-audit checklist. Travel to the sub-offices as necessary to assist during CO audits.
• Contribute technically to the training in the CO as part of the training plan or requirement of pre-audit preparations or as otherwise determined by Operations Manager.
• Recommend responses to internal and external audit inquiries and other findings related to financial management for review/approval by Operations Manager and incorporate recommendations in development in policies, procedures and practices;
• Plan and track expenditures and performance audit of financial resources, including extra-budgetary income.
• Coordinate programme/ project budgets in accordance with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures
• Coordinate all financial resources of programmes/ projects through planning, guiding, monitoring and controlling of the resources.
• Prepare and monitor budgets of management projects.
• Analyze and report on the budget approvals and the delivery situation of management projects.
• Contribute to the proper mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in budget management.
• Formulate the budget, control allotments, monitor expenditures, and prepare revisions according to the needs of the CO.
• Track the appropriate and timely use of financial resources.
• Prepare cost recovery documents or bills for the services provided by UN Women to other programmes or organizations.
• Create projects in Atlas, prepare budget revisions, revise project awards and status; and determine unutilized funds.
• Implement and maintain control mechanism for development projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications and budgetary status.
• Submit financial information for timely preparation of donor reports.
• Prepare advance payments and direct payments for programme implementation and record them in Atlas.
• Provide assistance to offices in the region in relation to project closure and provide training on a regular basis, in conjunction with Virtual Global Service Centre Finance Specialists.
• Coordinate financial training and communication for the CO
• Monitor the effectiveness of the services of the finance team on a regular basis to ensure close relationship between Finance Section and Finance Users in the CO and take corrective measures as needed.
• Coordinate development projects to ensure effective finance and communication tools are in place and regularly monitored for improvements.
• Perform the Finance Helpdesk function for CO to ensure accurate and timely response to issues and advice requested in conjunction with HQ Finance Field Support Unit.
• Support in the implementation of the approved Training plans (specifically ATLAS and IPSAS) in conjunction with HQ Finance Field Support Unit and Finance specialist in RO on a recurrent basis to ensure competency across all Finance Users at the CO.
• Provide oversight for Finance staff of the CO and monitor progress and provide guidance and direction to the staff as necessary to ensure goals and objectives are achieved.
• Participate in knowledge management and capacity building
• Identify, participate in the development and/or recommend enhancement/updates/improvement in Atlas financial modules for better business practices and controls in the CO.
• Capture, synthesize and/or codify lessons learned and best practices in the RO/CO/ CO support and financial management and services. Disseminate to Finance Section RO and HQ to share knowledge and build capacity.
• Contribute to the design of learning tools, best practices and innovations in financial business operational practices and management, promote transparency, ease of communications, hosting of financial documents, and all policies and procedures between all UN Women users of the CO data.
• Financial tasks, approving and certifying function
• Oversee that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared; travel claims and other entitlements are duly processed;
• Implement timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, matching exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
• Provide timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
• Perform delegated approval function in Atlas on a timely basis.
• Review and provide financial clearance of all donor agreements as delegated for compliance with standard agreements on a timely basis.
• Core Values:
• Respect for Diversity
• Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
• Creative Problem Solving
• Effective Communication
• Inclusive Collaboration
• Stakeholder Engagement
• Leading by Example
• Good knowledge and expertise in financial planning and management.
• Good knowledge of complex financial rules and regulations, preferably UN/UN Women Financial Rules and regulations.
• Good conceptual/strategic skills and success in implementing financial re-engineering, management systems development, policy design, innovation and knowledge product development is an asset.
• Good knowledge and experience in the application of complex financial systems and modules (such as Atlas);
• Good knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
• Ability to provide advice and support.
• Good analytical skills.
Required Skills and Experience
• Education and certification:
• First Degree (Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree) in Finance/Accounting is required.
• Masters degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration is preferred.
• Professionally qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
• Successful completion of UN Women’s Accounting technical test.
• At least 1 years’ experience in an accounting-specific role with in a large international organization preferably in the UN system is required.
• Demonstrated financial experience using an ERP financial system.
• Demonstrated experience in providing financial and budget support to programmes/projects; Demonstrated experience at developing detailed financial reports for senior management.
• Demonstrated knowledge of IPSAS/IFRS.
• Demonstrated financial experience of working in a regional or multi-country context is an asset.
• Experience in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
• Demonstrated experience using an online web-based management System is an asset
• Language Requirements:
• Fluency in English is required
• Working knowledge of other UN official language is an asset.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 12
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Please note that applications without a completed and signed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment. UN Women Personal History form (P-11) can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment .
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.