Jobs at:HJF Medical Research International, Inc. Tanzania (HJFMRI)
Deadline of this Job:
Friday, October 13 2023
Date Posted: Wednesday, October 11 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Finance Director oversees the HJFMRI Tanzania finance and accounting function. The incumbent directs all finance and accounting department activities including mentoring, coaching, and supervising finance, and accounting staff. The position provides financial-strategic leadership and guidance to department heads and external stakeholders to ensure that HJFMRI Tanzania PEPFAR HIV Program financial goals and objectives are met in the most efficient and effective manner possible. The position oversees the development and implementation of key financial models and strategies, departmental annual operational plans, HJFMRI Tanzania budgets as well as development and / or review of systems and internal controls and ensuring that they are operating effectively. The position oversees the interpretation and implementation of financial concepts for financial planning and control; development and maintenance of complex financial reports to track HJFMRI Tanzania financial indicators. The position is based in Dar es Salaam and reports to the Executive Director of the HJFMRI Tanzania but works closely with MHRP finance.
Main Roles and Responsibilities
1. Direct the day-to-day operations of the finance and accounting department.
2. Direct the development and implementation of key financial models and strategy, departmental annual operational plans, organizational budgets as well as development and / or review of systems and internal controls and ensuring that they are operating effectively.
3. Mentor, coach, guide and / or train the finance and accounting staff to ensure they have the requisite skills to successfully support the implementation of the HJFMRI Tanzania PEPFAR HIV Program, including taking the lead in providing timely and practical solutions to emerging finance issues or financial challenges.
4. Provide effective oversight of all HJFMRI Tanzania financial planning, accounting, and reporting activities as well as policies and processes.
5. Oversee the development and / or review, implementation and monitoring of financial risk management plans.
6. In collaboration with Home Office (HO) finance and Program teams, guide the development and monitoring of HJFMRI Tanzania budgets.
7. Direct the design, implementation and maintenance of a functional financial-control environment plan and provide effective oversight in developing and / or reviewing HJFMRI Tanzania financial systems, policies, guidelines, procedures, and tools, as appropriate or needed.
8. Ensure that all HJFMRI Tanzania financial and accounting practices are in line with HJFMRI policies, procedures, Tanzanian laws, and regulations as well as donor regulations.
9. Oversee all HJFMRI Tanzania financial activities including the preparation of budgets and forecasts, short- and long-term financial plans including annual departmental operational plan.
10. Act as a trusted advisor to HJFMRI Tanzania executive leadership team and MHRP; work as an expert counselor when key financial decisions are being made.
11. Correlate operational and financial data prepared by the Controller to assist HJFMRI Tanzania executive leadership in understanding the financial impact of decisions in real time.
12. Provide HJFMRI Tanzania executive leadership with key business and financial insights needed to control and shape the direction of the Program.
13. Provide HJFMRI Tanzania with strategic leadership in financial management and reporting.
14. Direct the provision of support supervision to the finance and accounting staff.
15. Provide financial direction to meet deliverables during various financial cycles including monthly closes, quarterly reviews, forecast cycles and other ad hoc requests.
16. In conjunction with other members of HJFMRI, MHRP, and HJF HO ensure that the financial impacts of various business decisions are understood, aligned, and communicated.
17. Direct the provision of timely, consolidated, accurate, and reliable financial information to enable HJFMRI Tanzania and MHRP leaders to incorporate cost considerations in their decision making.
18. Provide effective oversight in conducting financial analysis, preparing reports, metrics, and analysis to extract meaningful and strategically important information from financial data including but not limited to project level expense-to-budget reports; carry-forward analysis by department and stakeholder; and reporting including key monthly/quarterly financial information.
19. Collaborate with project leads to direct the provision of timely and practical solutions to financial challenges emerging during the design and implementation of Program activities to ensure seamless implementation of PEPFAR Program work.
20. Oversee the monitoring of accounting data accuracy to ensure accurate monthly reporting and proper cost allocation per project and funder.
21. Oversee the provision of guidance, capacity building, technical assistance, and mentorship to finance and accounting staff in accounting, budget, financial planning, and reporting.
22. Oversee HJFMRI Tanzania financial and accounting practices to ensure compliance with Tanzania statutory requirements, HJF/MRI policies, guidelines, procedures and donor rules and regulations.
23. Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively to provide the highest quality customer service.
24. Oversee all audits, including tax audits and spot checks.
25. Oversee the formulation, submission, and defense of the budget to MHRP / HJF HO and other various funding agencies.
26. Oversee the execution of other finance and accounting related roles as directed by the supervisor.
• Degree in finance or accounting required. Master’s degree in finance or MBA preferred.
• Public Accountant Certification (CPA-T) or equivalent certification recognized by NBAA required.
• At least ten (10) years’ relevant experience in financial management and reporting, five (5) years of supervisory experience required.
• PEPFAR experience required. DOD, USAID, CDC, or experience working with international NGOs in a cross-cultural setting preferred.
• Knowledgeable in International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
• Must possess project and business management skills.
• Demonstrate high integrity and strong values, including confidentiality.
• Thorough knowledge and understanding of the Tanzanian regulatory and business environment including understanding of health systems and administrative structures, including working with the Regional Government (RC/RAS offices with the RHMT teams and DC/DED Offices with the CHMT teams).
• Knowledge of HJFMRI’s strategic goals and objectives as well as corporate strategy.
• Analytical, solution oriented and exceptional organizational skills.
• Ability to meet and communicate schedules and deadlines.
• Proficiency in MS Office applications and accounting software.
• Demonstrate exceptional professional judgment.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and relationship skills, including flexibility, diplomacy, intercultural communicative competence, and respect for colleagues.
• Able to build and maintain sound relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks, work under pressure and under no or minimum supervision.
• Proven experience in developing and implementing systems and internal controls.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
All applications (cover letter and updated CV with three professional referees, in PDF format) should be submitted to email@example.com not later than 13th October 2023. Hand-delivered applications shall not be accepted. To be considered, applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE. As detailed in the job description(s) below, those who do not meet the minimum requirements will not be considered.
HJFMRI is an equal-opportunity Employer. Women are encouraged to Apply.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.