Jobs at:BBC Media Action
Deadline of this Job:
18 December 2022
Date Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
BBC Media Action:
• BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development organisation, and we believe in the power of media and communication for good. We work in more than 20 countries around the world, supporting the independent media essential to democracy and development. Each year our projects and programmes reach over 100 million people facing poverty, inequality, and insecurity with information they can trust, helping to improve health, bridge divides, challenge prejudice, and save and change lives. We follow the editorial standards and values of the BBC, but we rely on funding from donors and partners to carry out our work.
• To support the finance function of BBC Media Action in Tanzania in making daily payments and other financial clerical work, such as month-end journals and scanning reports, filling in payment vouchers, and preparation of audit files.
• Review and writing payment vouchers for staff advance and supplier invoices after being reviewed by the Finance Officer and approved by budget holders and ensure that all payments are made on time.
• Keep petty cash box and make petty cash payments following policies and procedures after being approved and reviewed by the finance officer.
• Record all petty cash payments in petty cash register.
• Balance cash box by counting cash at beginning and end of work and at the end of the month.
• Follow up on acknowledgement EFD receipts with operations for all payments made.
• Maintain finance files by filling of payment vouchers and making sure all vouchers are filled chronologically with proper supporting documents.
• Issue cheques for all accounts due, make copies of issued cheques, record in cheque register.
• Support project events in making payments to event participants after reviewing the budget and supporting documents.
• Assisting in administrative activities during events (supervising recording of attendance, reviewing receipts for refund, follow up on final invoice on conference package after the events) with guidance from project staff
• Assist with month end as well as year-end returns which includes preparing various journal entries for accruals, prepayments, or any other adjustments in accordance with year-end schedule & checklist.
• Reconciling petty cash at the end of the month.
• Assist with the annual audit by making sure all payment vouchers are stamped PAID and are properly supported with EFD receipts as required.
• Cover for the finance officer when on leave.
• Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
• Assists finance officer in reforecast and project spending monitoring as assigned.
• Performing any other duty as may be assigned in finance or during events.
• Understand and comply with the Safeguarding policy and the staff Code of Conduct.
• Participate in relevant mandatory training on Safeguarding and Respect at Work.
• Report any Safeguarding concerns immediately, either to the Country Director, or using the Whistleblowing Policy.
Required skills, knowledge, and experience
• Holder of first degree in accountancy/ advanced diploma in accounting or equivalent – with original copies of qualification documents.
• At least two years of professional working experience at the level of finance assistant or above level within a recognised NGO or INGO.
• Experience of working with and reporting to international donors.
• Good interpersonal skills to establish effective working relationships with financial and non-financial staff within BBC Media Action.
• Able to communicate effectively at all levels within the organisation.
• Excellent IT skills with experience of operating computer-based financial management systems.
• Accuracy and an eye for detail
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
• Analytical thinking – able to simplify complex problems, processes, or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for problem-solving and/or development.
• Decision making – ready and able to take initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
• Planning and organisation – able to think ahead to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resource requirements.
• Resilience – can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
• Influencing and persuading – able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
• Communication – able to be understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
• Managing relationships – able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
• Self-development – able to identify and apply opportunities for learning and development.
The role may involve working with groups of vulnerable children and adults. For the successful candidate, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. A police background check may form part of the recruitment process. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people.
BBC Media Action has zero tolerance for fraud and exploitation. If you have any concerns, please share with us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• Candidates should send their CV and a cover letter (in English, PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role by email to: email@example.com – please include the title of the position applied for in the subject line and send by 5pm on 18th December 2022
• Only applicants with separate cover letter will be considered. Please do not send certificates or other attachments. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.