Jobs at:Cuso International
Deadline of this Job:
Friday, November 03 2023
Date Posted: Monday, October 30 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Volunteer’s Role
As the Gender Advisor, you will conduct a thorough gender analysis to understand the specific needs, roles, and challenges faced by different genders (mainly women) within the context of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) or Innovators.
You will play an important role in providing your expert recommendations and implementing the Gender Equality and Social Inclusion strategy to address the gender inequality issues prevalent in Tanzania which will be the basis of performing learning workshops.
Working with other international and national volunteers, there will be ample opportunity to incorporate gender equality training into existing training and mentoring sessions for Small and Medium Enterprises in the region.
You will be well supported by the Mwanza team, who are all eager to collaborate with you to overcome gender inequality.
As a volunteer, you will:
• Conduct a gender analysis to understand the specific needs, roles, and challenges within the context of the SMEs or Innovators
• Provide training and capacity-building initiatives to staff, SMEs, Innovators and stakeholders to increase awareness and understanding of gender issues
• Establish gender-sensitive indicators and data collection methods to track progress toward gender equality.
• Collaborate with program managers and project teams to design and implement gender-responsive interventions.
• Conduct research on gender-related issues and best practices.
• Prepare regular reports on the progress of gender mainstreaming efforts, Document success stories, challenges, and recommendations.
• Degree in Gender Studies, Women Studies, Social Sciences, Psychology, or other relevant field
• 3 years work experience in gender work-related issues
• Facilitation and training skills; experience in development and delivering workshops
What’s in it for YOU? A life-changing experience!
About Us, the Project and the Partner
Cuso International is an international cooperation and development organization that works to create economic and social opportunities for marginalized groups. Together with our partners, we are focused on efforts to advance gender equality and social inclusion, improve economic resilience, and deliver progress on climate action. We believe that by sharing skills, we can build better futures. Founded in 1961, Cuso International works in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Canada.
Project – Sharing Canadian Expertise for Inclusive Development and Gender Equality (SHARE)
Cuso International will deliver the Sharing Canadian Expertise for Inclusive Development and Gender Equality (SHARE) project, with a contribution from Global Affairs Canada (GAC) over seven years (2020-2027). SHARE aims to improve the economic and/or social well-being of the poorest, most marginalized and vulnerable people, particularly women and girls, in developing countries, with a view to contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals. In addition to increasing engagement of Canadians in international development and key global issues, this project will aim to increase the performance of country partners to deliver more inclusive, innovative and environmentally sustainable development initiatives that advance gender equality, in support of the action areas of Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy.
Partner – Small Industries Development Organization
Terms and Conditions
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
• Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending on country)
• Accommodation while in placement
• Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
• Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication, and health insurance
• Pre-departure training, in-country orientation, and reintegration debriefing, including travel and accommodation (more details below)
• On the ground support through our Cuso International country program office
• Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
• Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
• Please note that if you are shortlisted for the placement, you will be required to:
• Provide two Professional References and one Personal Reference
• Complete an oral assessment during your preliminary telephone interview in the language required for your placement
• Obtain a Police Check at our request
• Complete a full medical exam and be medically cleared by the Cuso International Medical Advisor prior to your departure
• Due to the COVID-19 situation, be double vaccinated in accordance with the World Health Organization-approved vaccines
• We seek individuals who share our values and are dedicated to supporting marginalized groups, including those from the LGBTQIA+ communities
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Pre-departure Training and Briefing
We commit to helping you prepare as best as possible for your placement. You will have an advisor to support you through the process and will receive essential training as part of your preparation. This training is designed to maximize your understanding of your placement and culture, help you identify and plan your own learning, and help you stay safe and healthy during your placement.
Overview of pre-departure training:
1. Skills and Knowledge for Working in Development (SKWID) program: blended online and in-person training, including 3-day training in Ottawa (Friday, Saturday and Sunday)
2. Self-directed briefing documents, online training and external resources accessed through the volunteer portal
3. Online health briefing
4. Fundraising 101 Webinar
In-Country Training and LearningYou will receive an In-Country Orientation (ICO) that builds upon the pre-departure training. This will be conducted by either the country program office or the supporting partner organization. This normally lasts for 2-10 days (depending on language learning requirements and other factors). In some countries, volunteers will be able to access ongoing language training opportunities. In-Country Orientation equips you with the relevant skills, knowledge, and country-specific information to be successful in your placement. Furthermore, our Country Program Office or local partner will provide you with continuous in-country support throughout the duration of your placement.
Protection from Sexual Exploitation and AbuseCuso International works with poor, vulnerable and marginalized people, mainly women and girls, to eradicate poverty and inequality. We understand the need to uphold and enforce the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct.
At Cuso International, we believe that all people, regardless of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed (religion), sex, age, record of offences, marital status, family status, sexual orientation, gender expression and identity or disability have the right to live lives free of harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse.
Cuso International considers all forms of harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse to be incompatible with fundamental belief in the human dignity of all people, international and national agreements and standards, and with its core values. Cuso International volunteers must agree to uphold the Child Protection, Prevention of Workplace Violence, Prevention of Workplace Harassment and Discrimination, and Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse Policies and Code of Conduct.
Residency and Citizenship
The majority of Cuso International volunteer applicants are residing in Canada at the time of application and during the pre-departure process. Occasionally we received applications from volunteer applicants who are residing outside of Canada at the time of application. In both instances, between your application date and placement start date, we must be able to contact you and you must be able to contact us easily and promptly throughout the process.
We may require your passport and would need to be aware of your current place of residence and any travel plans you may have during this time. You will also require unrestricted access to Canada during this time for training, as applicable.
Leaving your country of residence can have significant effects on your citizenship status in that country. It is your responsibility to research the consequences of traveling to Canada during the pre-departure process if you are living outside of Canada and of leaving your country of residence for a placement with the immigration authority where you live.
By applying to this placement, you accept full responsibility for any consequences related to your citizenship, residency, and immigration status or penalties as a result of travel to pre-departure training, international placement, or other Cuso International related travel.
You must check the implications that apply to you, but examples include:
• Canadian permanent residents may need to make arrangements with immigration authorities before traveling. These arrangements allow them to travel without risk to their status in Canada. Without them, residency status may be withdrawn.
• Citizens of other countries, including those visiting Canada on a visa, may have travel restrictions.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.