Jobs at:Aga Khan Health Service
Deadline of this Job:
Wednesday, November 08 2023
Date Posted: Wednesday, November 01 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Aga Khan Health Service, Tanzania (AKHST) – an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), a not-for-profit international organization that supports social development programs in Tanzania. It has completed a major expansion to position the institution to become a leading and integrated tertiary and teaching health care system in Tanzania. As part of its health system strengthening initiatives in working with and supporting Government Health Programmes, AKHST, AKFT and AFD are partnering on a new innovative public-private collaboration called Tanzania Comprehensive Cancer Project (TCCP) that aims at strengthening and expanding the quality, access and capacity of cancer care services in the country. The project collaborators include Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC), Ocean Road Cancer Institute (ORCI), Bugando Medical Centre (BMC), Muhimbili National Hospital (MNH) and President’s Office – Regional Administration and Local Government (P0- RALG) with technical support from Institute Curie.
TCCP will be implemented in two target regions (Dar es Salaam and Mwanza). The project’s A major components include a) Improve and expand existing oncology infrastructure to provide more comprehensive oncology care through health systems strengthening, b) build the capacity of staff in participating institutions to provide high quality cancer care by trained specialists, and train and retain local professionals through accredited programs; c) strengthen community cancer care practices by delivering affordable, comprehensive health care services for preventive services including primary prevention, screening, and early detection and d) develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders and participating institutions on joint research agenda and initiatives.
We are seeking highly skilled and motivated Medical Physicist and Radiation Therapy Technologists to join our dynamic healthcare team.
MEDICAL PHYSICIST-(1 POSITION)
The Medical Physicist will play a crucial role in ensuring safe and effective use of radiation therapy and medical imaging equipment at the Cancer Centre. This position involves a combination of clinical responsibilities, quality assurance, research, and collaboration with healthcare professionals. He/ She will work closely with the medical and technical staff to maintain the highest standards of quality and safety.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES RADIATION THERAPY SUPPORT:
• Perform treatment planning for radiation therapy, including dose calculations and treatment plan optimization.
• Ensure accurate and safe delivery of radiation therapy to patients.
• Monitor and assess the quality of radiation therapy treatments and adjust as needed.
• Collaborate with Radiation Oncologists and Radiation Therapists to develop and implement treatment plans.
• Collaborate with Radiation Oncologists and Dosimetrists to plan and deliver radiation treatments for cancer patients.
• Perform quality assurance checks on treatment machines and radiation delivery systems.
• Conduct patient-specific dose calculations and treatment plan verifications.
DIAGNOSTIC IMAGING SUPPORT:
• Perform quality assurance tests on diagnostic imaging equipment such as X-ray machines, CT scanners, and MRI machines.
• Optimize imaging protocols to minimize radiation exposure while maintaining diagnostic image quality.
• Provide guidance on the selection and use of imaging modalities for specific clinical applications.
• Assist in the optimization of diagnostic imaging equipment, such as CT scanners, MRI machines, and X-ray units.
• Conduct quality control tests on imaging equipment to ensure image quality and patient safety.
• Provide input on radiation dose optimization for diagnostic procedures.
RADIATION SAFETY AND COMPLIANCE:
• Monitor and maintain compliance with all radiation safety regulations and guidelines.
• Develop and implement radiation safety policies and procedures.
• Implement and oversee radiation safety protocols to protect patients, staff, and the public from unnecessary radiation exposure.
• Monitor radiation exposure to staff and patients and take corrective actions when necessary.
• Perform radiation shielding assessments and ensure proper shielding in radiation therapy and diagnostic imaging areas.
• Train staff on radiation safety protocols and practices.
• Implement and manage a comprehensive quality assurance program for all radiation therapy equipment.
• Perform quality assurance checks on radiation therapy equipment, including linear accelerators, brachytherapy units, and treatment planning systems.
• Monitor and maintain the accuracy and calibration of radiation therapy equipment.
• Develop and maintain quality control procedures to ensure the accuracy and precision of treatment delivery.
• Investigate and resolve any equipment or treatment-related issues.
• Maintain and calibrate radiation therapy equipment, including linear accelerators and brachytherapy units.
• Coordinate equipment servicing and repairs with external vendors as needed.
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT:
• Participate in research projects and clinical trials to improve treatment outcomes and technologies.
• Participate in research projects related to radiation therapy, medical imaging, and radiation safety.
• Stay up to date with advancements in medical physics and radiation oncology.
TRAINING AND EDUCATION:
• Provide training and education to radiation therapy and diagnostic imaging staff on radiation safety, quality control procedures, new technologies and best practices.
• Mentor and supervise junior Medical Physicists, Dosimetrists, and Technologists.
• Collaborate with medical residents and students as needed.
DOCUMENTATION AND RECORD-KEEPING:
• Maintain accurate records of all treatment plans, quality assurance tests, radiation safety activities and equipment maintenance.
• Prepare and submit required reports and documentation to regulatory agencies/authorities.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Minimum Master’s in Medical Physics or a related field from recognized institution
• License to practice as Medical Physicist from relevant regulatory authority.
• Minimum 5 years experience working in a clinical setting.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; and attention to detail.
• Excellent communication skills and to work collaboratively with healthcare professionals and communicate complex concepts to non¬experts.
• Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary healthcare team.
• Proficiency in relevant software for treatment planning and quality assurance.
• Knowledge of current radiation therapy and medical imaging technologies.
• Research experience and a track record of publications.
• Leadership and project management skills.
The Aga Khan Health Service, Tanzania is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in the workplace. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Please submit your CV, educational certificates, and a cover letter detailing your qualifications and relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to reviewing your application and excited to welcome a talented Medical Physicist and Radiotherapy Technologists to join our team. Join us in making a difference in the lives of our patients.
The Aga Khan Health Service. Tanzania is committed to providing a safe and inclusive environment for all employees and patients. We offer competitive compensation packages, professional development opportunities, and a supportive work culture.
Please Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Closing date for submission of applications is end of business day on Wednesday 8th November, 2023.
“AKHS is concerned about the climate and environmental crises we face and is doing everything possible to reduce our own impact, encouraging others to do the same, and advancing understanding in this field. AKHS has set itself the task of getting as close to net-zero carbon operations as possible by 2030. We expect all staff to contribute to achieving these aims in the context of their roles. We encourage applicants with previous experience or an interest in this field to apply.”
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.