Request For Bids
Deadline of this Job:
Friday, March 31 2023
Date Posted:Friday, March 31 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Afrobarometer (AB) is a pan-African, nonpartisan and nonprofit research organisation that tracks political, economic, and social conditions in Africa. Guided by the vision of a world in which Africa’s development is anchored in the realities and aspirations of its people, Afrobarometer provides high-quality data and analysis on citizens’ evaluations and experiences of democratic governance and quality of life. This data is provided as a public benefit and is freely available to policymakers, policy advocates, civil society organisations, academics, news media, donors and investors, and ordinary Africans.
Launched in 1999 in 12 African countries, AB has completed more than 300,000 interviews in 8 survey rounds in up to 39 countries. The 9th Round is currently ongoing. AB conducts face-to-face interviews in the language of the respondent’s choice with nationally representative samples. AB is also currently conducting pilot phone surveys to build a workable methodology for such surveys as part of our response to COVID-19. Effective analysis and communication of survey findings, as well as capacity building for survey research, analysis, and communications skills, are integral parts of AB’s work.
AB is dedicated to three main objectives:
• to produce scientifically reliable survey data on public attitudes in Africa
• to broadly disseminate and apply survey results, and
• to build institutional capacity for survey research in Africa.
• AB, a legal entity headquartered in Accra, Ghana, is managed by a 5-member Central Management team consisting of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Chief Operating Officer (COO), and Directors of Surveys; Analysis & Capacity Building; and Communications and anchored by a network of independent regional institutions known as Core Partners (CPs) currently based in Accra (Ghana Center for Democratic Development), Nairobi (Institute of Development Studies, University of Nairobi), and Cape Town (Institute for Justice and Reconciliation). The CP institutions provide leadership and overall supervision for fieldwork management, data analysis, and dissemination and engagement across all countries in their respective regions.
• University of Cape Town (UCT) in South Africa and Michigan State University (MSU) in the United States provide support for capacity building and data analysis to the network. The network also includes National Partners (NPs) in each participating country, each of which falls under the CP for their respective regions. NPs are responsible for survey fieldwork and for the dissemination of survey results at the country level. NPs are mostly think tanks, research institutions, university departments or institutes, and private survey research institutions. More information on the Afrobarometer can be found at VAVw.afrobarometer.org.
• With this structure, Afrobarometer CPs play a critical role in the management and implementation of AB’s activities. Through their role in the AB Senior Advisory Team (SAT), they assist the Secretariat in providing overall direction and management of the surveys and related activities. CPs manage National Partners
• (NPs) on all survey and dissemination activities. The purpose of this Call for Bids is to invite interested organizations to join the Network as Core Partner to manage its work in Eastern Africa and to provide support and strategic advice to facilitate the execution of all surveys and dissemination activities. The following countries fall under AB’s East Africa region: Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Seychelles, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia. This list may expand as and when AB expands coverage to other countries in the region.
The key areas of CP responsibility include:
• National Partner Management
• New country assessments and new partner assessment and recruitment
• Periodic rebidding of NPs
• Survey Management (contracting, coordinating, and supervising/management of survey fieldwork and data cleaning)
• Country-level results dissemination and communication and engagement activities
• Participation in AB capacity building activities
• Effective stewardship of AB funds and other assets
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The specific duties of the CP institution include but are not limited to the following:
• Managing surveys of nationally representative samples of the adult population of each National Partner (NP) country in Eastern Africa. This involves negotiating survey schedules with all NPs, negotiating budgets, contracting NPs, overseeing the identification of appropriate census data and sample design, reviewing questionnaires including translations, overseeing training of field staff and data collection and ensuring that NPs adhere to timelines and AB survey protocols.
• Oversee all activities related to dissemination of survey results and ensuring AB protocols on communication are observed.
• See to the implementation of sub-grant agreements in compliance with all associated conditions on behalf of the AB, including timely reporting on sub-grant activities. Must also ensure that payments made to NPs and activities under the CP do not exceed the agreed subgrant budget.
• Offer strategic advice for AB survey and related activities, specifically data management and capacity building.
• Provide advice and strategic guidance to all staff in the institution who work on AB surveys.
• Coordinate with the line managers of AB staff, (including the Chief Operating Officer, to ensure that AB activities within the CP are carried out in adherence with AB policies, protocols and job descriptions.
• Be a standing member of and actively participate in the AB network’s Senior Advisory Team (SAT), attend all SAT meetings (travel and other logistical costs will be covered by the AB Secretariat).
• Be a standing member of and actively participate in the AB C00- CP quarterly meetings.
• Ensure that the employment or contracting of staff working on AB surveys and related activities are fully compliant with legal and institutional requirements.
• Coordinate with AB on annual performance reviews of staff working on AB surveys and related activities, ensuring compliance with legal and institutional requirements.
• Clear and regular communication with national partners to ensure alignment around implementation schedules.
• Facilitate timeous payment to national partners upon completion of their contractual obligations.
• Ensure alignment between core partner organizational processes and procedures and that of Afrobarometer.
• Convene monthly mandatory meetings between CP director or his/her designated team lead and CP staff working on Afrobarometer.
• Any other necessary duties that may emerge in the course of the partnership or as determined by the Central Management Team.
• Bid submission
Bids must include the following:
• Incorporation details of your institution and other relevant documentationA description of the personnel to work on the Core Partner team. Key personnel should include people with expertise and experience in managing nationally representative surveys, assessing sample design, developing and indigenizing survey questions, programing survey questionnaires, monitoring data collection remotely or physically, reviewing and cleaning datasets, analysing, interpreting and presenting survey results to government, policy actors, civil society organisations, media, donors, academia etc. In addition, the CP must have experience in managing donor funded project funds. The bids should specify each category of personnel’s daily rates and the qualifications and experience as well as provide curriculum vitae of the Core Partner director, and the person(s) who will be responsible for project management including sampling, fieldwork, quality control, data management/analysis, communications, and finance/administration.
• A detailed description of the Institution’s experience in managing large national surveys/large project (with supporting documentation if possible)
• Audited accounts or a list of funders and grants received for the past 5 years
• Two references from researchers/scholars who can attest to the quality of the institution’s work
• Any other supporting documents that may be relevant for this role.
• In evaluating bids. Afrobarometer will consider, in order of priority:
• Demonstration of the ability and commitment to manage and oversee the conduct of high-quality fieldwork/data collection (including clarity of plans for supervision and quality control)
• Evidence of a good understanding of and capacity to oversee data collection, analysis and dissemination of findings in the East Africa region.
• Analytical skills (in particular, the availability of social scientists who can play a central role in analyzing survey results and working with the country teams to prepare and present country reports)
• Communication skills: availability of a communication specialist to assist with disseminating survey results to diverse stakeholders in all countries in the region.
• Capacity to manage resources: evidence of applicant’s ability to manage donor funds.
• The overall quality and completeness of the proposal.
• Note that all aspects of the project must be implemented in accordance with the Afrobarometer Survey Manual and associated protocols, which will be provided to the successful applicant. Any necessary adjustments to the successful proposal can be negotiated during the contracting phase.
Education Requirement:No Requirements
Job Experience:No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
The bid, including all supporting documents must be delivered in English by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business (5pm GMT) on 31st March 2023. Please put AB Core Partner for East Africa’ in the subject line.
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Afrobarometer Procurement Team at: email@example.com
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.