Senior Livelihoods and Rural Finance Officer
Jobs at:The Jane Goodall Institute ( JGI )
Deadline of this Job:
Friday, December 08 2023
Date Posted: Friday, November 24 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) is a global community conservation organization that advances the vision and work of Dr. Jane Goodall by conserving chimpanzees and inspiring communities to conserve the natural world we all share, we improve the lives of people, animals, and the environment. We strongly believe everything is connected and everyone can make a difference.
The Jane Goodall Institute Tanzania (JGI-TZ) is a reputable and rapidly expanding non-governmental organization committed to wildlife research, conservation, socio-economic development, and environmental education. The Jane Goodall Institute Tanzania (JGI-TZ) was founded in 2001 by Dr. Jane Goodall, DBE. The JGI Tanzania with its partners makes a difference through community cantered conservation, chimpanzees research projects, youths' environmental education, the innovative use of science and technology, we work closely with local communities in Tanzania, inspiring hope through a collective power of individual action.
The Jane Goodall Institute Tanzania with funding from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID to support implementation of the new USAID funded project, USAID Tumaini Kupitia Vitendo is currently seeking to recruit a suitably qualified and competent Tanzanian to fill the following vacant positions:
Job Position: Senior Livelihoods and Rural Finance Officer
Project/Program: USAID Tumaini Kupitia Vitendo
Duty Station: Kigoma or Mpanda
Reporting Line: Deputy Chief of Party- Conservation and Livelihoods
The Senior Livelihoods and Rural Finance Officer (SLRFO) will support a range of activities to improve the lives of rural citizens in Western Tanzania. The SLRFO will lead execution of the project's support for Village Savings and Loans, microfinance provision and development of new conservation-oriented enterprises and livelihoods. To a large extent, the livelihood activities within the landscape rely on agriculture - crop production, livestock keeping and fishing. Thus a knowledge in agricultural value chains/agribusiness is highly sought for. The job holder will assist his supervisor/line manager in the execution of the following key responsibilities:
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
Main responsibilities will include but not limited to:
• To support the access to finance for alternative, environmentally friendly rural livelihoods (new financial services and products from banks, support for VSLAs, impact investment, etc.).
• To strengthen management capacity and governance of community development groups (farmers, beekeepers, mushroom collection groups, AMCOs/Cooperatives, etc.) on how to set up, manage and share benefits from member-owned institutions.
• Serve as the principal liaison between financial institutions - including banks and microfinance institutions, impact investors, and other financial services providers.
• To improve market access by forging linkages with key off-takers for the products produced by the target groups/communities.
• Provide technical leadership to operationalize support for alternative livelihoods and enterprises that promote biodiversity conservation, climate change adaptation and sustainable development.
• Lead the technical preparation of the project annual work plans and quarterly reports.
• Supervise and verify the quality of rural finance and alternative livelihood related services delivered by service providers to stakeholders.
Minimum Job Qualifications and other Requirements:
o Master's degree in community focused economic development and entrepreneurship, rural development, banking and finance, agribusiness, cooperative development, or a related field; A bachelor's degree with commensurate field experience will also be considered.
• At least 5 years of experience supporting village level rural economic development. Experience with organizing farmers/rural communities for finance and markets, finance provision through Village Savings and Loan systems, banking, or other institutions. Ideally with some management responsibility.
• Experience in engaging the private sector, developing and/or marketing inclusive financial products, including micro, small and medium or even large loans that support new livelihoods and enterprises.
• Experience integrating livelihoods improvement with biodiversity conservation (conservation enterprises like Eco-tourisin, forest products, or other livelihoods that are environmentally friendly and sustainable).
• Fluent English and Swahili, written and oral communication skills.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
All applications should be submitted together with the most recent Curriculum Vitae (CV/resume, copy of relevant academic certificates & transcripts, testimonials, three names of reputable referees, day-time telephone number or e-mail address, and should be send to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only the final shortlisted candidates will be interviewed and provided with the interview feedback.
Deadline: Saturday, 16* December, 2023 before 5pm in the evening.
JGI Tanzania is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, national or tribal origin, religious belief, gender, and marital status.
QUALIFIED FEMALE APPLICANTS ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TC APPLY.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.