Senior Operations Officer
Deadline of this Job:
Date Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2023 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
The IFC 3.0 strategy aims to stimulate more investment activity across emerging markets, especially in Low Income Countries (LICs) and Fragile and Conflict affected States (FCS). This strategy aims to create new opportunities for private investments in riskier markets and sectors by proactively working “upstream” to create, deepen, and expand markets and design and develop potential investment projects. Achieving these growth and impact ambitions at scale requires a different approach to business development, deal sourcing, and client support that relies on 1) a broader product offering to engage earlier in the project cycle and secure opportunities; 2) a greater focus on preparing clients in nascent markets and sectors for investment; 3) a greater focus on value addition and risk management of portfolio investment clients to enhance their performance; and 4) a longer time horizon and a more patient, longer-term perspective.
To support this approach, IFC is seeking IFC is seeking a Senior Operations Officer to lead the program development and implementation of the MAS Africa Financial Management Advisory program which supports IFC clients by building/enhancing their financial management competencies. The program targets prospective and portfolio investment clients to enhance their bankability and incubate an impactful multi-year pipeline of market opportunities and bankable projects. Targeted clients are expected to demonstrate efficiency in working capital management, streamlined decision making processes and better allocation of resources which would help them unlock growth opportunities and improve access to finance.
The selected candidate will focus on delivering high-quality Financial Management Upstream/Advisory engagements and contribute to the volume of financing enabled and facilitated by IFC to clients in the Africa region. This position will report to the MAS Africa Upstream & Advisory Manager.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The roles and responsibilities of the position will include but not be limited to:
• Identify, assess, and prioritize Financial Management Advisory opportunities based on country and sector strategies and market creation potential.
• Design and structure Advisory projects/engagements that lead to IFC investments.
• Develop scalable solutions and platforms that can be replicated across markets.
• Spot game-changing trends, technologies and business models that can help bring solutions to emerging markets.
• Support staff across IFC in developing proposals and supporting materials for Advisory engagements across other regions.
• Ensure the delivery of results in accordance with the approved project business and M&E targets
• Lead the administration of and reporting of the assigned Advisory portfolio including monitoring progress against KPIs and preparing regular reports on the status of the respective engagements to enable portfolio decision-making.
• Manage the implementation of advisory projects/ engagements, which includes a) Hiring external expertise, deploying internal and/or external expertise and managing them to ensure the most effective and efficient implementation of the firm level projects; and b) Raising sponsors’ knowledge about the importance of effective Accounting & Finance operations; introduce best Financial Management practices at the firm level and sector level.
Client and Stakeholder Responsibility
• Work with country and industry hub leads to generate ideas about facilitating new investment opportunities.
• Collaborate with MAS investment teams to identify targeted clients.
• Conduct Business development for MAS Upstream & Advisory, which includes identifying clients and their needs, preparing pitches, conducting negotiations, and concluding deals.
• Work with CMUs and other stakeholders including donors to ensure successful execution of the respective Upstream & Advisory Program/s.
• Provide other support as required at the country, regional or the global level.
Knowledge Capture and Management
• Work with the global and regional teams to ensure solutions and knowledge flow across IFC and promote adoption of new approaches and best practices.
• Build external recognition of IFC’s distinctive capabilities on deploying Upstream & Advisory programs to catalyze greater flow of investment opportunities in the sector.
People and Resource Responsibility
• Mentor and manage staff and full-time short-term consultants.
• Support relevant manager(s) in staff recruitment and skills development.
• Master's degree or equivalent professional qualification in Business or Finance.
• 12-15 years of relevant experience in project and/or program development, producing feasibility studies, hands-on advisory and/or consulting functions in emerging markets.
• Genuine commitment to development and to the World Bank Group and IFC's mission, strategy, and values.
• Understanding of IFC’s strategic priorities and changing business model against the backdrop of IFC 3.0.
• Demonstrated capacity to innovate and challenge the status quo and proven track record of new idea generation, business development, and creating projects/programs from scratch.
• Deep understanding of the manufacturing, agribusiness and services sectors and ability to link upstream and advisory interventions, investment, and mobilization to deliver solutions at a country level.
• Demonstrated experience in project/program management, including executing against implementation plans with defined business development milestones.
• Demonstrated experience in monitoring and reporting on a portfolio of projects, programs, and initiatives.
• Outstanding analytical and critical thinking skills; demonstrated ability to synthetize complex information and make concrete strategic and tactical recommendations.
• Strong written and verbal communications skills.
• Ability to mentor and coach junior staff.
• Sensitivity for working in multicultural environment, commitment to diversity, and ability to build effective working relationships with colleagues/clients/partners across regions, sectors, and business lines.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 180
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.