Sub-Editor - The Guardian
Jobs at:The Guardian Limited
Deadline of this Job:
Tuesday, October 31 2023
Date Posted: Tuesday, October 17 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Duties and Responsibilities
• Checking and editing stories, writing captions, placing photos and writing headlines within set deadlines and in conformity with journalistic ethics, editorial objectives and house style
• Checking and correcting editorial copy (news stories, features, etc.) allocated by the Chief Sub-Editor for facts, accuracy, taste, house style, language use, clarity, details, objectivity, spelling, etc.
• Subbing (rewriting) editorial copy to fit allocated space without distorting facts or downplaying the salient points or points of major interest.
• Rewriting editorial copy as necessary for simplicity, clarity and style.
• Writing headlines for the copy by ensuring that they reflect the overriding message of the stories. Editing the photos and other illustrations selected by the Chief Sub-Editor - to fit space allocated
• Writing or rewriting captions, taking care not to give obvious details.
• Submitting the edited copy to the Chief Sub-Editor within set deadlines.
• Making up news pages as directed by the Chief Sub-Editor - as a guide to graphic designers Checking all headlines, captions, photos/illustrations, copy text, page logos and all other page elements, and signing off the pages (to graphic designers) within set deadlines.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor's degree in Arts or related disciplines
• At least three years' experience working in journalism, with having served as a sub-editor an added advantage
• Mastery of written and spoken English and Kiswahili
• Knowledge of any other language will be an added advantage
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.