TCI Finance and Grants Officer
Deadline of this Job:
Wednesday, February 14 2024
Date Posted: Monday, February 05 2024, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Jhpiego, an affiliate of Johns Hopkins University is implementing The Challenge Initiative (TCI), a project funded by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) through The Bill & Melinda Gates Institute for Population and Reproductive Health (GI) at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. This is a multifaceted multi-year program focused on the rapid expansion and sustainable scale up of urban family planning programs worldwide but with a focus on the largest cities in Asia and Africa. TCI works in 5 Regional Accelerator Hubs. Jhpiego is responsible for the East Africa Accelerator Hub covering Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
Reporting to the Senior Finance Officer, the TCI Finance and Grants Officer will be responsible for:
a) Finance scope- includes the financial and operational aspect of Jhpiego programs and contributes to ensuring that financial, administrative, and operational systems are sound and compatible with standard accounting practices and follow JHU and Jhpiego rules and regulations. S/he ensures that daily operations are maintained in an efficient and effective manner. The Finance Officer works closely with Jhpiego Uganda Senior Finance Officer to support implementation of project activities.
b) Grants Scope-Reviewing the sub-grantees’ financial records, verify reimbursements, conduct financial reviews for the cities, and ensure that sub-grantees’ reports comply with the sub award rules and regulations.
• Review financial transactions to ensure availability of funds and expenses are allowable, reasonable and allocable
• Process requisitions, payments, receipts and other necessary accounting activities ensuring timeliness and proper charge codes; verify documentation for all program disbursements and review numerical accuracy and ensuring proper authorization before making payment
• Assist staff in determining allowability and allocability of costs to the project
• Preparation of monthly bank reconciliation statement and reconciliation of control accounts
• Support submission of monthly financial reporting (QuickBooks) and bank reconciliations and its timely submission to Jhpiego head office.
• Designs and implements sound internal controls by implementing recommendations from Internal Compliance Reviews and external audits
• Completes cash flow analysis to ensure adequate cash needs
• Support the TCI Program Lead and Project Director with provision of reports on obligations and expenditures of the project budget, including sub-agreement budgets with partners and sub-grantees, monitor expenses versus budgets providing monthly reports
• Develop and monitor annual work plan budgets.
• Preparation of expenditure analysis report & ensure that the expenditure falls within the budget & work plans
• Lead the facilitation of audit requirements including ensuring required statutory audits are completed in accordance with local requirements.
• Maintenance of proper filing of records and ensure complete documents for all transactions
• Ensure payment vouchers are scanned and attached to the QBE before end month date.
• Train staff regularly on Jhpiego and donor requirements/processes and ensure compliance, and suggest mitigation measures for any non-compliance issues to the Senior Finance Officer.
• Support the TCI program in recruitment and selection process of potential organizations.
• Conduct pre-award capacity assessment of the potential grantees.
• Assist in the review and consolidation of all sub-grantees’ proposal budgets to ensure compliance with donor and organizational requirements.
• Assist in capacity building of sub-grantees; organize program review meetings, provide continuous technical assistance and continuous mentorship on compliance.
• Continuously review sub-grantees’ accounting procedures, internal controls, perform financial risks assessments and establish risks mitigation plans.
• Monitor sub-grantees’ implementation/performance; conduct desk reviews, site visits, joint support supervision and risks assessments.
• Follow up on findings from audits, on-site visits and desk reviews with sub-grantees’ staff.
• Review sub-grantees’ financial reports and ensure timely submission of final reviewed monthly reports and adequate cash flows.
• Monitor and evaluate sub-grantees’ budgets against actual expenditures and provide recommendation for budgets alignments.
• Maintain documentation and retention of sub-grantees’ crucial records, reports, correspondence, etc.
• Assist in the preparation of reports related to sub-grantees.
• Provide feedback to the project leadership on overall performance of sub-grantees and recommendation for improvement (If any).
• Perform other duties as require
• Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field.
• Minimum CPA III or the ACCA finalist.
• Minimum of three (3) years relevant experience in financial accounting and grants or contracts administration
• Working knowledge of donor rules and regulations.
• Previous experience with non-profit organizations will be an added advantage.
Deadline for applications is Wednesday 14th Febuary 2024
Jhpiego, a Johns Hopkins University affiliate, is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, marital status, pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, other legally protected characteristics or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. Jhpiego promotes Affirmative Action for minorities, women, individuals who are disabled, and veterans
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.