Technician 1 – UG Geotech
Jobs at:Geita Gold Mining Ltd
Deadline of this Job:
Friday, November 03 2023
Date Posted: Wednesday, November 01 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Geita Gold Mining Ltd (GGML) is Tanzania’s leading gold producer with a single operation in Geita Region. The company is a subsidiary of AngloGold Ashanti, an international gold producer headquartered in South Africa, with operations in more than ten countries, in four continents. The mine is situated in the Lake Victoria Gold fields of Northwestern Tanzania, only about 85 km’s from Mwanza City and 20 km’s Southeast of the nearest point of Lake Victoria. The company has its head office in Geita, only 5 Km’s west of the fast-growing town of Geita, and also a supporting office in Dar es Salaam. Applications are invited from ambitious, energetic and performance driven individuals to fill in vacant position(s) mentioned below:
Position: Technician 1 – UG Geotech
Contract type & Duration: Unspecified time contract
Department: Technical Services
Reporting to: Superintendent 2 – UG Geotech
Number of Positions: One (1)
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
• To provide assistance in undertaking underground field support work for geotechnical engineers, ensuring that field data collection and implementation of geotechnical risk mitigation measures meets the required quality and accuracy for the assigned underground mine(s).
• Form 4 certificate, Certificate in Mineral Deposits, or FTC or diploma in a geology related field from Mineral Resources Technology, Madini Institute, or any other recognized tertiary institute.
GGML is an equal opportunity employer: Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
• 1-3 years of geotechnical or engineering geology experience in underground environments.
• The incumbent must have competent working knowledge of geotechnical data gathering, underground excavation monitoring, risk mitigation, and field data quality assurance techniques and must be able to perform assigned tasks without supervision.
MAIN OR KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Underground Geotechnical Logging;
• To assist in undertaking timely collection of geotechnical logging data using approved logging methods (e.g. fracture frequency per meter mapping, rock mass characterization, strength testing sampling, major structures) from identified diamond drilled holes.
• To assist in undertaking data validation on all geotechnical logging data prior to entering the data into the database.
Underground Geotechnical Field Mapping;
• To assist in undertaking timely collection of geotechnical mapping data using approved logging methods (e.g. domain mapping, window mapping, major structures mapping) to ensure adequate coverage of critical underground excavations for the assigned underground mine(s);
Installation and Maintenance of Underground Monitoring Equipment;
• To assist in undertaking installation of ground stability monitoring instruments (MPBX, extensometers) using the approved work methods.
• To assist in undertaking routine maintenance of monitoring instrumentations to ensure uninterrupted availability of monitoring systems.
Geotechnical Assessment of Ground Conditions for Underground Slopes;
• To assist in undertaking routine underground inspections (development headings, stopes, backfill, truck tip, post blast) to ensure potential signs of ground instability are identified in time to protect personnel and equipment.
Underground Excavation Monitoring;
• To assist in undertaking routine pull testing of split sets and resin bolts to ensure ground support installation complies with the ground support standards.
• To assist in undertaking cable bolt inspection to ensure installation complies to ground support standards.
• Learn and follow the Safety requirements related to your work.
• Assess the risks before starting a task.
• Speak up if you think a task cannot be done safely.
• Identify new hazards in the workplace and report them to your supervisor.
• Talk to your supervisor when you are not fit for work.
• Promptly report all injuries, illnesses and incidents.
• Help others to work safely.
• Basic knowledge and application of Geotechnical Logging techniques of Diamond Drill Core.
• Basic knowledge and application of Geotechnical mapping techniques for underground excavations.
• Basic knowledge and application of Installation and Maintenance of Ground Stability Monitoring Equipment.
• Basic knowledge and application of Geotechnical assessment of Ground Conditions for underground excavations.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Timely decision-making.
• Field Observational skills.
• Time and Priority Management.
• Attention to Details.
• Teamwork and Cooperation.
• Working with minimum supervision.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 12
Level of Education: Professional Certificate
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.