Jobs at:Colleges and Institutes Canada
Deadline of this Job:
Friday, October 20 2023
Date Posted: Monday, October 09 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) is implementing the Employment through Empowerment Program (ESP) in Tanzania in close collaboration with the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (MOEST) through the Department of Technical and Vocational Training (DVET).
The Empowerment through Skills Program is a 7-year (2021-2028) program funded by the Government of Canada which will support the development and delivery of skills training programs that benefit women and adolescent girls working in the informal and formal economies throughout the country. By providing community-based and institution-based training programs at Folk Development Colleges (FDCs) and Community-Based Organizations (CBOs) across 12 communities, and by strengthening the financial, counselling, and family support systems women need to be successful in key growth sectors, it will lead to social and economic empowerment.
The Bookkeeper will be responsible for processing day-to-day financial transactions, maintaining accurate financial records including all requisite supporting documentation, recording transactions in the project’s financial journal, allocating transactions to the general ledger accounts, preparing monthly financial reports, processing, and tracking staff advances, and ensuring that all financial data is organized and up to date.
The Bookkeeper will work closely with the Finance and Administrative Officer to process payments, manage invoices, ensure legal requirements compliance, and comply with all required tax and insurance requirements.
The Bookkeeper will also assist the Finance and Administrative Officer with basic HR duties including collecting timesheets, tracking leave, supplying new hire documents, and supporting the Finance and Administrative Officer with any temporary disability insurance or workers’ compensation filings.
The Bookkeeper will work under the supervision of the Senior Technical Advisor, TVET, in close collaboration with the Finance and Administrative Officer. The Bookkeeper is also expected to work closely with all other Tanzanian- and Canadian-based program staff to support the goals of the Empowerment through Skills Program.
The position is expected to involve some travel within Tanzania.
• Record day-to-day financial transactions and complete the posting process.
• Maintain an accurate record of financial transactions.
• Ensure the maintenance of proper financial files, including all supporting documentation and approvals.
• Verify that transactions are recorded in the financial journal and allocated to the respective general ledger accounts.
• Assist project Finance and Administrative Officer in reconciling cash book against bank statement on weekly basis and recommend necessary adjustment entries.
• Enter data, maintain records, and create reports and financial statements.
• Co-review Partners’ payment requests, advances, and expenditures before posting in the system.
• Maintaining Fixed Asset register and updating the assets register to ensure the records reconcile with the general ledger or Synoptic Journal.
• Track vehicle fuel maintenance and fuel usage through Driver vehicle logbook.
• Complete tax forms to comply with Tanzanian reporting requirements.
• Support the Finance and Administrative Officer in the collecting of timesheets, tracking leave, supplying new hire documents, and with any temporary disability insurance or workers’ compensation filings required.
• Assist the project Finance and Administrative Officer in Tanzania in all aspects of project accounting, financial management, and basic HR duties.
• Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
The employee will report to and be supervised by the Senior Technical Advisor, TVET or designate in the ESP Field Office, in close collaboration with the Ottawa-based Manager of Operations, and Senior Program Officer.
Qualifications and Competencies
• Fluency in English and Swahili.
• Tanzanian citizen or legally permitted to work in Tanzania. Note: CICan will not provide a work permit or sponsor individuals.
• Recognized certificate, diploma, or degree in a related field (administration or business or finance or accounting).
• A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar role with an international organization in financial and accounting processes, including, but not limited to, experience processing payments, financial bookkeeping, and creating financial reports.
• Demonstrated ability using Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel where advanced knowledge is expected.
• Ability to prioritize and organize work effectively and efficiently under pressure and tight deadlines.
• A diligent work ethic and professional behaviour.
• Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team.
• Very strong writing, computer, and data skills.
Agility: We thrive in a complex environment that requires nimbleness and adaptability, and we anticipate and respond to changes with quick and resourceful actions.
Inspiring others: We motivate individuals to strive for excellence and commit to common goals and purposes, as we create a sense of self-efficacy, resilience, and persistence in others.
Integrity: We treat others fairly and respectfully, and we further the standing of the organization and its relationships of trust with our members and other stakeholders.
The expected monthly gross salary for this position is between TZS 1,500,000 and TZS 2,000,000, based on applicant’s relevant experience and qualifications.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Professional Certificate
Job application procedure
Interested applicants should submit their application including a complete Cover Letter & CV with full contact details of three referees and should be addressed to the Senior Technical Advisor and Country Representative, Colleges and Institutes Canada, Tanzania (CICan) via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, 20th October 2023 at 17.00 PM EAT.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Female applicants are encouraged to apply. Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.