Certification Officer, Eastern Africa (m-f-d
Jobs at:Forest Stewardship Council
Deadline of this Job:
Saturday, April 15 2023
Date Posted:Saturday, April 15 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
FSC works to take care of our forests and those who rely on them: by protecting plant and animal species, Indigenous Peoples’ rights, forest workers’ safety, and much more. We achieve this through FSC certification, ensuring forests around the world are responsibly managed. For more information on FSC, visit our website at www.fsc.org.
To effectively meet the challenge of protecting the world’s forests, we are committed to ensuring we have the world’s most skilled people working with us. This commitment extends to everyone that works in FSC around the world: from those that lead the design of policies and standards, to those that roll out those same policies and standards on the ground, and to those that provide us with backbone to do our work.
We are looking for an engaged Certification Officer, Eastern Africa who brings solid expertise and a passion for FSC’s mission, to work with us in a multinational environment.
To provide technical support and guidance to stakeholders starting and/or already in process to obtain FSC certification and, to contribute to achieving the FSC Eastern Africa 2023 Forest Management (FM) and Chain of Custody (CoC) growth targets.
Main Roles and Responsibilities
• Provide day to day technical guidance and expertise for forest managers and businesses to obtain FSC forest management and Chain of Custody (CoC) certification.
• Support companies and governments to implement their certification roadmaps.
• As guided by the FSC Coordinator, Eastern Africa, participate in relevant private, government and industry association meetings, workshops and events.
• In liaison with the PSU Manager, Africa and as guided by the FSC Coordinator Eastern Africa, provide technical support to the relevant Standard Development Groups (SDGs) during revision process of the National Standards, and Interim National Standards for new countries.
• Organize in-country and/or external exchange field visits to facilitate learning by staff of companies and governments involved in implementing certification pilot activities, as well as other stakeholders in the process to uptake FSC certification.
• With support from the FSC Coordinator Eastern Africa, conduct online and physical certification trainings.
• Strengthen existing relationships and develop new links with potential partners and members to promote FSC certification in Eastern Africa.
• Liase with the Eastern Africa Marketing and Communications Specialist to contribute relevant technical and in-field content for impact stories, and communication initiatives including social media articles.
• Perform other duties as requested by the FSC Coordinator, Eastern Africa.
Qualification, Experience and Skills
Education and Training:
Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree in forestry, natural resources and environmental studies.
• Working Experience, Style and Skills:
• At least 4 years of professional experience in the forestry or related sector with excellent knowledge and wide understanding of forest certification, and COC certification, preferably in the FSC certification system.
• Experience working with and engaging governments, forest companies, forest product companies, environmental non-governmental organizations and smallholders and communities in forestry, and strong ability to establish and maintain positive interpersonal relationships.
• Strong interest in promoting responsible forest management and sustainability within the forestry, environment disciplines and related sectors.
• Ability to work independently under minimal supervision.
• Good time management and ability to perform well while handling simultaneous tasks.
• Networking, influencing, planning and facilitation.
• Fluency in English (spoken and written).
• Knowledge of any Eastern African language/Kiswahili is essential but not a must.
• Excellent writing and communication skills
Computer Skills – good skills in the use of/experience with:
• Standard software packages (MS Office).
Terms and Conditions
• Location: Tanzania
• Working Hours: Full time (220 working days per calendar year).
• Type of contract and duration: 1 year consultancy contract.
• Starting Date: As soon as possible.
• Travel: Frequent travel.
Job Experience:No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
• Please apply via our website by submitting your CV in English
• Please do not send any photos of yourself.
• The deadline for applications is 09 April 2023.
We will confirm receipt of your application. However, only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be further contacted and will receive notice of the outcome of the selection process. Should you not receive a confirmation of receipt please check your spam filter and if you cannot find it there contact us at email@example.com
For FSC, inclusiveness and diversity are important values. As such, we welcome and encourage applications from all backgrounds and are entirely committed to consider all qualified applicants regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age and disability.
Please be informed, that by applying for this position you automatically accept our Data Protection Information on processing your personal data.
We are looking forward to your application!
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.