Finance & Accounting Manager Africa
Jobs at:The Nature Conservancy
Deadline of this Job:
Thursday, November 30 2023
Date Posted: Thursday, November 09 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Finance & Accounting Manager Africa is a subject matter expert and a key player who serves as a resource to the finance team and Africa business unit. They will oversee the day-to-day accounting operations, including managing personnel with an unwavering commitment to excellence. Your role will involve ensuring compliance with accounting standards and providing valuable financial insights to support TNC’s growth and success. This entails managing, maintaining, and reporting financial data and/or monitoring management controls and processes and meeting strict deadlines to ensure compliance with TNC policies and procedures, relevant legal and regulatory frameworks, and financial/management best practices. You will be required to manage Business Unit finance team with exceptional organizational skills, communication abilities, and a process-driven mindset to drive productivity and achieve financial objectives. Working closely with other Finance Managers and Directors, you will ensure the department runs smoothly and help the team to succeed. If you love numbers, have an eye for detail, and are passionate about conservation, this role is for you! The position will report to the Associate Director of Finance and will be base din any country in Africa where TNC has an office (Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Gabon, South Africa or Angola)
WE’RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for work you can believe in? At TNC, we strive to embody a philosophy of Work that You Can Believe in and where you can feel like you are making a difference every day. We’re looking for someone with strong experience leading a diverse, multi-disciplinary team.
The ideal candidate should have exceptional communication and collaboration skills and experience in data and personnel management. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the ongoing mission of conservation by directing and shaping the work of our team!
Roles & Responsibilities:
• Responsible for managing, maintaining, and reporting financial data, monitoring management controls and processes, and ensuring compliance with TNC policies and procedures, relevant legal and regulatory frameworks, and financial management best practices.
• Point person for accounting and the BU advisor on revenue and expense coding to ensure continuous update of financial information on shared sites for Finance Operations related matters and smooth running of financial operations and programmatic support to the BU.
• Manage the finance accounting diary to ensure financial activities are met within set deadlines, including the year-end close process, the development of year-end projections of expense, periodic analysis of balance sheet accounts, and making necessary adjustments to ensure adherence to TNC requirements on reporting and accuracy of the BU reports.
• Ensure revenue is coded, and financial reports reflect donor intent, working with the development team to perform revenue allocation and ensure costs are charged accurately to respective funding sources.
• Ensure adequate checks and controls for financial processes are in place, ensure their compliance, implement, and manage new initiatives to strengthen financial processes, identify areas of improvement, and develop action plans.
• Participate in designing and implementing finance policies, procedures, and systems to comply with all applicable financial and accounting regulations.
• Reinforce compliance and consistency across the BU in the organization’s policies and procedures.
• Conduct periodic field visits to projects to understand the activities, monitor financial activities on the ground, and engage with teams.
• Review and monitor Income Statement and Balance Sheet items monthly and at year-end close to ensure adherence to TNC requirements, reporting and accuracy of the BU reports.
• Support Preparation/consolidation of financial statements, including detailed trial balance accounts with underlying support documentation in preparation for periodic audits.
• Enforce implementation of a proper electronic filing system of financial documentation and custodian of complete financial statements and supporting records, ensuring financial compliance as required by state agencies, internal auditor/external auditors, and similar personnel.
• Key resource to BU staff in addressing queries related to accounting and general financial management and operations treatment across the BU and world office.
• Provide operational support, including onboarding new staff, and facilitate the opening and closing of new country operations by providing financial guidance and assistance. May manage or participate in complex negotiations.
• Participate in implementing finance initiatives rolled out to international programs, especially on ERPs and accounting processes.
• Supervise regional finance professional staff with responsibility for training, professional development, and performance management.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
• Bachelor’s degree in finance, Accounting, or Business Administration and 5 years’ related experience or equivalent combination.
• Experience with accounting principles, practices, and regulations.
• Experience recruiting, supervising, and developing staff.
• Experience with GAAP and not-for-profit accounting principles, practices, and regulations, including government grants accounting and reporting.
• Experience working with U.S. Federal government circulars (OMB Circulars A-110, A-122 and A-133) and state and local regulations.
• Experience recruiting, supervising, and managing performance for remote teams.
• Experience in developing, managing, and implementing multiple projects.
• Experience managing a large finance department in not-for-profit organizations.
• Experience working in complex contexts and dealing with complex situations.
• CPA or ACCA may be required.
• Over 8 years’ managerial experience in large international not-for-profit organizations.
• Experience monitoring for and ensuring compliance with organizational policy, applicable laws and regulations, and the best finance/accounting/management practices.
• Experience accounting, analyzing, and interpreting data and regulatory frameworks, reporting, and implementing solutions.
• Demonstrated experience in managing and monitoring annual budgeting process and monitoring respective individual budgets.
• Knowledge of GAAP and/or relevant regulatory framework with experience in complex accounting/financial frameworks
• Experience evaluating the adequacy and effectiveness of management controls, interpreting guidelines, and analyzing information to adapt or modify processes as needed.
• Ability to resolve complex issues independently within the program area.
• Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment and build relationships with diverse departments, collaborators, and field staff.
• Advanced in MS Excel skills and proficiency in other Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Power BI, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook.
• Ability to model and synthesize complex financial information and operating and KPI data into appealing presentations (to a nonfinancial audience) to facilitate understanding of operational results and drive performance improvement decisions.
• Service oriented, courteous, personable, tactful, and experienced in dealing effectively with all levels of staff.
• Multi-lingual skills and/or multi-cultural experience appreciated.
• CPA (K) or ACCA qualification preferred.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 96
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.