Jobs at:International Rescue Committee
Deadline of this Job:
Wednesday, December 20 2023
Date Posted: Monday, November 27 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
For over half a century, Tanzania has been a country of asylum, hosting one of the largest refugee populations in Africa. Currently, the country hosts approximately 287,903 Burundian and Congolese refugees, many of whom arrived in 2015 as the crisis in Burundi increased. To date, refugees continue to co-exist with the host communities in Kigoma region expressing multiple reasons and needs. Within this context, IRC provides protection and basic assistance in the areas of Safety (comprises of Protection and Rule of Law, Women Protection and Empowerment, and Child Protection), Health (mental health and psychosocial support services and reproductive health), and Education.
The Finance Manager, based in Kasulu field office, is responsible for ensuring daily financial management and programme activities are carried out in accordance with the procedures of donors and IRC.
They will be also responsible for training finance and non-finance IRC staff in order to facilitate good financial planning and reporting to donors.
Grants and budget management
• Support finance team during the preparation of budgets, realignments for grants, and operating budget.
• Review the standard monthly BvA currently being provided to staff to ensure that the information provided is adequate for the needs and understood by them and appropriate action on financial matters arising.
• Collaborating Closely with the Senior Finance Manager (Accounting), ensures preparation of monthly, quarterly, and or as per the donor rules, financial reports ensuring they are complete, accurate, and produced on a timely basis to ensure adequate review, approval, and submission to the grant’s unit.
• Ensures all policies and procedures are in compliance with IRC and funding sources.
• Prepare monthly operation cost allocation based on timesheets and Cost Allocation policy.
• Monitor financial activities in the field and provide regular updates to the Senior Finance Manager, Field Coordinator, and Deputy Director of Finance regarding any situations that could potentially compromise internal controls or financial performance.
• Ensure adequate segregation of duties, delegation of authority and all relevant/ senior staff are aware of and have access to or copies of the IRC TZ Finance Manual at the field level.
• Maintain adherence to and update the authorization matrix to reflect the current reality.
• Support the review of the IRC partners’ books, internal control, and accounting systems for efficiency, effectiveness, and use of accepted accounting procedures to record transactions.
• Conduct thorough examinations and assessments of financial and information systems, suggesting controls to guarantee system reliability and data integrity. Additionally, ascertain the extent of additional investigation needed, if necessary.
• May provide suggestions for improving the operations and financial standing of the IRC.
• Preparation of all financial reporting including month end closing and balance sheet reconciliations, ensuring that balances are adequately supported.
• Ensure timely completion of monthly balance sheet reconciliations in the field, and promptly address any arising issues.
• Supervises all Field office bank relations and bank account activities.
• Oversees the timely preparation, review, reconciliation, and approval of all monthly bank and cash accounts.
• Monitor the systems, procedures, and reporting essential for maintaining accurate and up-to-date forecasts of cash requirements to meet future expenditures, including commitments that bind the IRC to future spending.
• Prepare Cash Transfer Requests from Dar and ensure that appropriate balances are maintained to facilitate grant implementation.
Staff Supervision & Development
• Monitor and build the technical capacity of direct reports as needed
• Maintain and promote a positive work environment for direct reports including providing timely support, effective feedback, and professional development opportunities.
• Ensure that direct reports understand the roles and responsibilities of their position, have agreed performance objectives for each year, and receive required training on IRC systems and processes.
• Monitor quality, activity timelines and due dates for deliverables to ensure staff meet internal and/or external requirements and deadlines.
Key Working Relationships:
· Position Reports to: Senior Finance Manager
· Position directly supervises: Finance Officer
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
• Bachelor Degree in finance or accounting or equivalent.
• Minimum of three years relevant experience.
• Proficient in general office software programs like MS Word, Excel, email, and Internet and relevant accounting packages. Prior knowledge of the INTEGRA system is a plus.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial data, understand and technical procedures.
• Ability to write reports and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, employees, and coordinators.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
• Proven track record to work as a team member in a cross-cultural environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.