Finance and Admin Lead
Jobs at:Mercy Corps
Deadline of this Job:
Monday, February 05 2024
Date Posted: Thursday, January 25 2024, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps has worked in Tanzania since 2006, focusing primarily on three thematic areas: (1) food security, (2) governance and peace, and (3) economic opportunity and livelihoods. Youth and women are at the center of all programming in Tanzania. Through these programmes Mercy Corps supports and builds the capacity of government at the national and local levels, and of communities – making sure that they are able to address challenges facing them. The Agrifin programme for example connects smallholder farmers with technology and financial services to boost productivity. Mercy Corps Tanzania is part of the FCDO- funded Collective Resilience Against Extremism (CREATE), a multi-country program that aims to mitigate the drivers, enablers, and narratives of violent extremism in East Africa (targeting Mtwara, Kigoma, Mwanza, and Tanga in Tanzania specifically). Through localized strategies, CREATE focuses on strengthening and supporting societal bonds to prevent the recruitment of vulnerable individuals to violent extremist organizations.
Program / Department Summary
Funded by the UK’s Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office, the anticipated WAJIBIKA programme will promote a more open, inclusive society in Tanzania where the government demonstrates greater accountability to the needs of its citizens. Wajibika will deliver this impact via three strategic outcomes to support 1) effective civic space and inclusive political processes 2) media freedom and access to information, and 3) Government of Tanzania (GoT) knowledge, will and capacity for public service reforms. Wajibika is divided into three components aligned to the three outcomes. The first two components require indicative activities and delivery partners to be outlined at bidding stage. The final component is a flexible, demand-led facility to tactically support GoT, FCDO and SDC with research and technical assistance to drive governance innovation.
General Position Summary
The Finance/Admin Lead works under the guidance and supervision of the Senior Programme Manager and with direct interaction with the Wajibika Project Team Lead, Deputy Team Lead, Managers, downstream partners and the Mercy Corps Finance Team. Key roles are project Financial management, monitoring and reporting and Grants management. The F&A Lead is an integral part of the Senior Management Team in-country and works closely with the management, technical and operations field and country team in Tanzania and regional teams in Kenya.
Essential Job Responsibilities
• Support the Wajibika Team Lead in managing all financial operations of the project, including accounting and reporting, cash management, and budget management.
• Manage financial operations and financial reporting.
• Provide monthly management reports to the Programme Team Lead and Programme Managers, Mercy Corps Tanzania Country Representative and HQ based Contracts team including expenditures by fund and country, sub grantee reporting and other financial information, in a timely and accurate manner.
• Lead in developing annual fiscal year budgets and implement budgeting and forecasting systems with Wajibika team Managers, and with partners
• Ensure that the project financial operations are in compliance with all FCO and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
• Ensure that monthly transactions are reviewed and entered in the General Ledger accurately and on timely basis.
• Assist with monthly review and reconciliations of balance sheet accounts (receivables, payables, advances, bank & cash reconciliations, etc.) and all the Wajibika related expenditures.
• Review payment documents, national staff payroll and other supporting documents ensuring their compliance with the local laws, donor regulations and Mercy Corps Tanzania internal policies.
• Be prepared to respond to any budgetary and financial inquiries from the donor, partners and Mercy Corps senior management within East Africa and home office in Edinburgh, Scotland.
• Prepare monthly cash flow projections and request funds from the country office.
• Provide financial advisory on overall strategic programme decisions.
• Review and track expenses and proper documentation as per Mercy Corps procedures and donor requirements for record keeping and accountancy.
CONTRACT. SUB-CONTRACTS MANAGEMENT
• Provide direct oversight of sub contracts and finance team including staff of partners.
• Oversee and coordinate management of sub-contract agreements
• Responsible for processing of sub-contracts and issuance of payments, transfers and transactions between partners as well as locally engaged partners.
• Oversee pre-award and post-award activities include asset control, timely reporting and contract fulfilment to check against payment.
• Work with Wajibika programme team to verify and track budget and expenditures vis-à-vis sub-contract awards and ensure proper reporting, documentation and overall deliverables are reviewed by Senior Management and signed off on prior to issuance of payment.
• Ensure consistency across sub-contracts on basic provisions and highlight issues that could be viewed as bias or discrepancies.
• Provide regular reports on Wajibika, issues, recommendations that need to be considered for operational adjustment.
• Work with Mercy Corps team members and sub-contractees management teams to conduct ad-hoc audit review of Wajibika field operations.
• Coordinate Wajibika expenditure verification and project audits.
• Other financial and sub contract tasks as required.
MONITORING & EVALUATION (M&E) AND REPORTING
• Work with the Wajibika Senior Management, MEAL and finance team members to ensure that deliverables are aligned with value-for-money objectives and that financial milestones are proportionate to programme milestones.
• Provide financial perspective in management and decision-making to enhance Mercy Corps’ adaptive management.
PROGRAM SUPPORT OPERATIONS:
• Ensure that Wajibika financial systems are efficient and are based on smooth-running infrastructure that facilitate timely and efficient program implementation. Provide regular review of field operations to ensure cost-effectiveness and provide guidance on improved operational practices for value-for-money.
• Travel between field locations outside of Dar es Salaam
STAFF MANAGEMENT, PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND TEAM BUILDING
• Create a work atmosphere conducive for professional growth and development of personnel at all levels by implementing and ensuring all staff are effectively using the performance planning and management system, establishing performance expectations and regularly providing constructive feedback.
• Promote accountability by conducting staff annual performance reviews with direct supervisees, and ensuring that supervisory staff do the same.
• Contribute to country team-building efforts, and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
• Work with field office management teams to establish financial reporting and management systems that ensure the safety and security of Wajibika financial resources including cash assets and records.
• Conduct yourself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
• Other duties as assigned.
Senior Finance and Sub Contracts Officer
Reports directly to: Senior Programme Manager
Works directly with: Contracts Director, Team Lead, Deputy Team Lead, Programme Managers, Country Finance/Grants Teams, Programme Teams, Implementing Partners and HR and Operations departments.
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
• A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics or relevant field; advanced degree preferred.
• Professional accounting certification CPA(K).
• At least seven (7) years of demonstrated professional experience managing grants, subcontracts, procurement and compliance with donor regulations, preferably Donor-funded projects.
• Strong accounting skills and experience in management of the general ledger, journal entries, payables and balance sheet.
• Demonstrated experience applying clauses and negotiating without heavy management oversight including developing amendments and modifications as a result of negotiations.
• Experience providing capacity-building training to staff and local organizations.
• Proven abilities in analytical, excel and reporting skills.
• Required competencies and skills:
1. Grants Administration
• Knowledge and application of best practices in grant and contracts management.
• Demonstrated knowledge of financial and management systems, regulations and reporting requirements. Evidence of ability to be creative and flexile within those requirements.
• Analytical capabilities with accounting procedures and processes for structuring projects.
• Knowledge of grants management software and information technology skills.
1. Management and Communications
• Ability to communicate technical, budgetary and program details to staff, grantees and applicants.
• Ability to design and implement effective workflow processes and procedures.
• Capability to foster an atmosphere which recognizes and respects cultural and individual differences.
The Finance and Admin Lead will have proven abilities in analytical and reporting skills with sound judgement in regards to budget, financial analysis and manage of program issues. S/he will have the ability to communicate and interact effectively across diverse program teams and support programmatic objectives with timely and meaningful information.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This position is based in Dar-es-Salaam. The location is accompanied and secure. Housing is individual accommodation with nearly unlimited freedom of movement beyond the house/office. There are many schools (local and international) within Dar-es-Salaam and staff have good access to basic services. This position will also include frequent travel to the field where the programme will be implemented.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a short-term assignment. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs, and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values always and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.