Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL)
Jobs at:HJF Medical Research International, Inc. Tanzania (HJFMRI)
Deadline of this Job:
Friday, October 13 2023
Date Posted: Wednesday, October 11 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The MEL Director leads the design and implementation of the monitoring, learning, and evaluation framework of the HJFMRI Tanzania, ensuring the Organization continually reflects and learns from, and adapts its program strategies based on the collection and analysis of data. The incumbent will provide expert guidance in project monitoring and evaluation while adhering to quality, reliability, integrity, and consistency in data outputs. The position will oversee the development of performance measurement frameworks, ensuring alignment with national guidelines and international standards. The incumbent will have a keen understanding of data-driven decision-making and will use this proficiency to influence project strategy and direction. The position is based in Mbeya and directly reports to the Deputy Executive Director, Technical Programs and Partnerships.
Main Roles and Responsibilities
• Oversee the day-to-day implementation of HJFMRI Tanzania M&E activities.
• Supervise, mentor, coach and / or train the HJFMRI Tanzania monitoring, evaluation and learning staff to ensure they have the requisite skills to successfully support the implementation of the HJFMRI Tanzania PEPFAR HIV Program.
• Lead the development and execution of the organization’s data strategy.
• Ensure that data-driven insights are integrated into strategic planning and organizational decision-making.
• Oversee the designing and rollout of the Performance Monitoring Plan (PMP), emphasizing effective tracking, utilization, and distribution of performance metrics.
• Mentor and guide the Strategic Information team, fostering a culture of excellence.
• Produce regular analytical reports that highlight key strategic information for decision-making.
• Represent the organization in external forums related to data and strategic information.
• Oversee the design and maintenance of data systems, ensuring accuracy, quality, and confidentiality.
• Advocate for and implement best practices in data governance and management.
• Establish and oversee the organizations and national data governance policies and procedures.
• Ensure data quality, integrity, privacy, and security compliance in all monitoring and reporting activities.
• Manage the collection, storage, and accessibility of data across HJFMRI, MOH and Donor platforms.
• Oversee the entering of pertinent data into HJFMRI organizational performance management system.
• Utilize statistical methods to identify trends, gaps, and areas of improvement in HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment initiatives.
• Collaborate with program staff to translate data into actionable insights and strategies.
• Lead efforts to analyze complex data sets, identifying trends, patterns, and insights.
• Develop and maintain dashboards and other tools to present data in a meaningful and accessible manner to various stakeholders.
• Direct the preparation and dissemination of regular and ad hoc reports.
• Ensure that data findings are communicated clearly to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Continuously monitor program performance against set targets and objectives.
• Compile and submit periodic performance reports as required by PEPFAR and other stakeholders.
• Collaborate with program teams to define performance indicators and ensure that they align with PEPFAR requirements.
• Capacitate staff to promote data literacy and enhance data use in decision-making.
• Support the Ministry of Health with technical expertise to improve the country’s Health Management Information System (HMIS).
• Engage with internal departments, partners, and stakeholders to determine data needs and address gaps.
• Coordinate with external partners, stakeholders, and donors on performance monitoring requirements and findings.
• Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of data-related initiatives and adjust as necessary.
• Contribute to strategic planning processes and provide data-driven insights to guide program design and implementation.
• Stay updated with the latest trends and technologies in data management and analysis.
• Ensure that all program activities comply with PEPFAR guidelines and requirements.
• Develop and maintain a performance monitoring system that includes data quality assessments and periodic reviews.
• Supervise the development of electronic data collection systems for real-time data acquisition from both community and facility levels.
• Collaborate with other departments to adhere to stringent data security protocols, ensuring data integrity and compliance with both institutional and donor stipulations.
• Collaborate with the Ministry of Health, national and regional stakeholders to propel the unification of health informatics systems, focusing on mHealth and eHealth initiatives.
• Perform any other assignment or duties as assigned by the supervisor.
• Master’s degree in data science, epidemiology, public health, computer science, or related field required.
• At least eight (8) years’ relevant experience in data management and analysis, health information systems, 5 years in a senior leadership role in PEPFAR funded programs a must. Large donor experience required. DoD, USAID, or CDC and experience working with international NGOs in a crosscultural setting preferred.
• Proficiency in data analytics tools (e.g., SQL, Tableau).
• Experienced in data visualization tools and electronic data capture systems.
• Strong understanding of data governance, data integrity, data privacy, and related regulations.
• Ability to present complex information clearly and compellingly.
• Attentive to details and strong commitment to data integrity.
• Leadership skills with an excellent track record of managing and developing teams.
• Ability to travel up to 40% of the time within the SHL Program.
• Clear understanding of the Tanzania regulatory environment, health systems and structures, administrative structure, including working with Regional Government (RC/RAS offices with the RHMT teams and DC/DED Offices with the CHMT teams).
• Diplomatic and culturally sensitive.
• Demonstrated ability to write technical documents and give state-of-the-art presentations.
• Analytical, problem solving and exceptional organizational skills.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and relationship skills, including flexibility, diplomacy, intercultural communicative competence, and respect for colleagues.
• Demonstrate high integrity and strong values, including confidentiality.
• Ability to build and maintain sound relationships with multi stakeholders; competence to build and effectively manage interpersonal relationships at all levels.
• Ability to multitask, successfully manage work pressure, with minimum supervision.
• Proficiency in MS Office applications.
• Ability to meet and communicate schedules and deadlines.
• Demonstrate exceptional professional judgment.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 96
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
All applications (cover letter and updated CV with three professional referees, in PDF format) should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 13th October 2023. Hand-delivered applications shall not be accepted. To be considered, applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE. As detailed in the job description(s) below, those who do not meet the minimum requirements will not be considered.
HJFMRI is an equal-opportunity Employer. Women are encouraged to Apply.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.