Programme Policy Officer (Agronomy & Food Systems)
Jobs at:The World Food Programme (WFP)
Deadline of this Job:
13 April 2022
Date Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
To provide support to policy and programme activities that effectively meet organizational needs and objectives in implementation of sustainable farming practices.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
• Provide agronomic technical guidance and serve as technical lead for farmer productivity to ensure sustainable and environmentally friendly practices are adopted by smallholders. This may include, but is not limited to, the review of implementing partner practices, capacity strengthening and addressing risks with appropriate risk mitigation tool;
• Work closely with Government counterparts to provide technical support at all levels of production and ensure district agroecological zones are observed. Organize regular strategic meetings (preliminary and follow up) at the national and regional levels;
• Lead the development of alternative extension models, refine scalable approaches for increased productivity, review training materials/manuals in collaboration with project partners. Guide partners on extension services, farmer mobilization and trainings, and ensure timelines are met;
• Maintain the reports and records of extension services delivered (including budget records and other documentation) and make information available for colleagues;
• Create, capture, and synthesize knowledge and best practice extension approaches that can be utilized by WFP, Government, and partners;
• Provide consistent and timely technical advice to meet the needs of partners, allowing partners to participate in planning, and adjust services as required along the farming cycle;
• KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES CONTINUED:
• Engage effectively in forums such as trade fairs, policy dialogue workshops, and exhibitions;
• Coordinate food production/productivity assessments with M&E, provide analysis, develop, implement, and monitor action plan;
• Ensure and/or perform accurate, timely recording of data (e.g., resource utilization, programme status, performance) and consistency of information presented to stakeholders (incl. government, partner agencies, implementing partners and beneficiaries);
• Ensure that the implementation plan, budgets, reports and program documents are kept up to date, as required by donors;
• Serve as a daily focal point for WFP on the food systems agenda for the Local and International stakeholders or partners from both public and private sectors;
• Perform any other related duties as required.
• Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
• Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
• Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
• Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
• Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
• Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
• Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
• Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
• Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
• Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
• Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
• Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
• Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
• Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
• Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
• Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
• Education: University degree in one or more of the following disciplines: Agriculture, Agriculture Economics or a field relevant to agricultural value chain management. An advanced degree in the relevant field is an advantage.
• Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Swahili and any other official UN language would be an asset.
• Other Specific Job Requirements
• At least seven (7) years of working experience in agronomy, agriculture project management and marketing within public or private sector with a strong focus on market systems dynamics as an added advantage
• Demonstrated knowledge of agricultural economics; field level experience with smallholders and pro-smallholder MSMEs.
• Demonstrated knowledge of gender-responsive agriculture and commercial agriculture modelling.
• Has competencies on problem solving, negotiation skills and ability to travel extensively in remote areas.
• Desired experiences for entry into the role
• Has deepened technical knowledge through exposure to technical teams.
• Has taken leadership of implementing programmes.
• Has provided input into policy discussions and decisions.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply follow this link https://career5.successfactors.eu/career?career%5fns=job%5flisting&company=C0000168410P&navBarLevel=JOB%5fSEARCH&rcm%5fsite%5flocale=en%5fGB&career_job_req_id=160670&selected_lang=en_GB&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&browserTimeZone=Africa/Nairobi&_s.crb=u2sVb%2fWJhgvbjZUfwefDayHGZR70HRjmUa9myq2SrLw%3d
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.