Public Health Specialist (Medical Epidemiologist) (CDC)
Jobs at:U.S. Embassy in Tanzania
Deadline of this Job:
Tuesday, December 12 2023
Date Posted: Wednesday, December 06 2023, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Under the supervision of the DGHP Program Director, the incumbent will serve as a Medical Epidemiologist to provide comprehensive technical, administrative, and oversight support to GHS (Global Health Security) projects involving epidemiological data collection, quality control and data utilization, and monitoring and evaluation. The incumbent will also be involved in surveillance, research, systems strengthening, and investigation activities of host government ministries, international organizations, non-governmental organizations, and host ministry of health partners. The role will provide expert advice as the technical expert for multiple cooperative agreements, including several priority awards to the Ministry of Health.
Overall duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
• Program management, planning, and coordination
• Technical assistance and oversight
• Cooperative agreement management
• Interagency coordination
CLICK HERE FOR MAJOR DUTIES DESCRIPTION: https://uploads.mwp.mprod.getusinfo.com/uploads/sites/72/2023/11/MAJOR-DUTIES-PUBLIC-HEALTH-SPECIALIST-MEDICAL-EPIDEMIOLOGIST.pdf
Qualifications and Evaluations
Required: at least five years of progressively responsible senior-level public health experience in the public health programs and service delivery. This may include disease surveillance, epidemiology, research, health systems strengthening, laboratory science, public health/lab/epidemiological policy, practices, procedures, and other program management.
A minimum of two years managerial responsibility with multiple staffing reporting is required.
Experience in Tanzania with the Ministry of Health (MOH), an international development agency, or other stakeholders in designing, implementing, and conducting public health programs is highly desirable.
Experience and knowledge of USG public health agency.
• Comprehensive, expert knowledge of the range of laws, policies, regulations, and precedents applicable to the development and administration of a domestic or international infectious disease or other disease public health programs to: research, develop, and evaluate key public health policies, procedures, and guidelines.
• Expert knowledge of a wide range of qualitative and/or quantitative methods to develop data collection tools and review, evaluate, survey, and improve domestic or international scientific public health program operations.
• Knowledge of agency program goals and objectives and the relationship with other programs and key functions internal or external to the agency to define requirements, integrate program activities, assess impact, and/or make decision on use of resources.
• Excellent knowledge and understanding of the public health system in Tanzania and a good working knowledge of USG public health programs and strategies, especially those related to GHS.
• Detailed working knowledge of other host government and international public health systems.
• Working knowledge of administrative, budgeting, and fiscal management systems in support of funding mechanisms such as contracts, cooperative agreements, grants, and purchase requisitions is desirable but not required.
Medical Degree or PhD in Public Health, Epidemiology or Health Policy is required.
LANGUAGE: Level IV (fluency – speaking/reading/writing, including medical terminology) of English language is required. Level IV (fluency – speaking/reading/writing, including medical terminology) of Kiswahili language is required. This may be tested.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Incumbent should possess the following skills and abilities: oral communication techniques to serve as bureau or agency representative and present findings and deliver briefings, explain and justify recommendations, and negotiate solutions to disputed recommendations. Written communication techniques to prepare reports used as the basis for key-executive-level management decisions and other comparable documents. Experience in teaching and mentoring epidemiologists. Proven skills in study design, scientific writing, and data analysis. Ability to work independently as well as with multi-disciplinary teams and using management techniques to plan, organize, and direct workflow and competing priorities. Strong diplomacy skills and experience working with high-level ministerial representatives. Experience working internationally, including with CDC and other international organizations. Interpersonal relationship skills to establish and maintain effective and diplomatic working relations and secure support and cooperation.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.