Senior Finance Officer
Jobs at:Mercy Corps
Deadline of this Job:
Monday, January 22 2024
Date Posted: Friday, January 19 2024, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action-helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
The Organization exists to alleviate suffering, poverty, and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps began full operations in Tanzania in 2016 and has to date implemented various programs aimed at sustainably improving the lives and livelihoods of Tanzanians by supporting initiatives to preventing violent extremism, improving the livelihoods of rural entrepreneurs through the provision of business skills training and the stimulation of productive uses of energy and improving food security and agricultural resilience of small holder farmers.
The Position Summary
Working in the Finance Department under the direction of Finance and Grants Manager, the Senior Finance Officer is responsible for daily office operations in country office and field offices. He/she is responsible for review of transactions according to the Approval Authority Matrix; ensuring that all transactions are allowable, reasonable and allocable, in line with Mercy Corps policies, donor regulations, GAAP and applicable country laws and that they are correctly coded. The Senior Finance Officer will facilitate audits, and coordinate weekly and monthly financial reporting, support, supervising and coaching all Finance Assistants. Support and track contracts payments, leases, fixed assets and procurements of all offices.
Location: Dar es Salaam Tanzania
Position: Full-time, Regular
Essential Job Responsibilities
• Monitoring programs and operations expenditure, review of monthly transactions, preparation of summary analysis report, commitments and other relevant analysis and reports enabling high program efficiency and informed and fact-based decision making.
• Responsible for the smooth functionality of the finance/accounting functions in Mercy Corps Tanzania Offices, finance staff capacity building/training, correctness of coding, review of BvA transactions, budget management, reporting and review of filing system.
Review of payment documents and other supporting documents for accuracy, completeness ensuring their compliance with the local laws, donor regulations and Mercycorps internal policies before they are passed for payment.
• Review transactions on a daily basis, making sure they meet all donor and MC standards.
• Review expense reports (travel expense reports and operational expense reports) for accuracy and completeness and ensure that expense reports have been fully approved and documented before payment.
• Ensure all receivable accounts in all Mercy Corps offices are cleared at the end of the month.
• Ensuring all expenditures are well coded following the standard chart of accounts, coded budget.
• Ensure all transactions are captured in the accounting system on daily basis by Finance Assistant /Officers.
• Weekly reviewing/posting all transactions captured in the system by Finance Officers.
• Prepare cash flow projections together with program/operation for and submit to Finance and Grants Manager for review and HQ submission, ensure there is sufficient funds to support country operations and program activities.
• Ensure/match invoices/receipts, completion reports with GRN and other required documents.
• Responsible for month-end balance sheet accounts reconciliations.
• Perform bank reconciliations on time and clear all reconciling items timely.
• Make sure PAYE taxes, withholding taxes, and all other taxes are withheld and paid accordingly. Ensuring, all other statutory payments (i.e. Pension) are timely paid accordingly.
• Participate in tender opening as finance observer to ensure that all procedures and policies implanted correctly.
• Review all offices summary and individual staff timesheets.
• Prepare amortization schedules on a monthly basis. Perform all amortization, re-classes and other adjustments every month before the month end close.
• Responsible to fund requests for field offices for both Operation and program needs.
• Ensure there is a proper filing and archiving system that is running efficiently.
• Provide on-going orientation, training and support to Finance Assistants/Officers and Finance team on Mercy Corps and respective donor’s rules and regulations.
• Ensure Bank information’s are updated when required and be a focal point for banking relationship.
• Participate in audits and support when required by the Finance Manager.
• Supervision of Finance Assistants/Officers.
• Support to Review monthly BVA Reports, assist in maintaining budgeting tools & support in developing budget proposals.
• Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations.
• Responsible for month end accounts reconciliations.
• Prepare monthly payroll for all offices based on information provided from HR and timesheets; prepare payroll accrual entries, net pay entry and statutory deductions payments.
• Support Mercy Corps Tanzania in the absence of Finance and Grants Manager.
• Any other tasks to be assigned by the supervisor.
Supervisory Responsibility Supervises: Finance Assistants/Officers.
Reports directly to: Finance and Grants Manager
Works directly with: Program Teams, Field Team, other MC staff, Consortium and partners.
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
• A bachelor’s degree in commerce/accounting/finance/Business Administration.
• Four (4) or more years of demonstrated professional experience managing grants, subcontracts, procurement and compliance with donor regulations, preferably Donor-funded projects.
• Strong accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payables and balance sheet reconciliations.
• Strong analytical skills, with emphasis on budget and financial analysis.
Attributes /Competencies /Behaviours/ Experience
• Tech-Savvy-advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, Power Point, advanced Excel.
• Accounting software experience.
• Self-starter with ability to take initiative, work independently, willing to go the extra mile to get the job done and be a strong contributor to a team.
• A positive can-do attitude with the ability to adapt to changing work needs.
• Strong analytical, decision making and strategic planning skills with the ability to articulate complex information in an easy-to-understand manner.
• Strong ability to analyze financial data including large financial data extracts, summarize results, produce reports, and recommend appropriate actions.
• Ability to plan and organize tasks on an autonomous basis.
• Adaptable, managing change and ambiguity with ease.
• Having sense of urgency, ability to demonstrate prioritise, plan ahead, (take a proactive approach) and manage a complex and diverse workload comprised of varying and changing tasks and responsibilities with tight strict deadlines.
• Astute attention to details, patient, flexible, able to improvise and look for solutions.
• Passionate and demonstrates maturity and ability to deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
• Ability to quickly learn new systems, processes, and procedures.
• Ability to coach, mentor, delegate appropriately and provide developmental guidance to supervised staff. Ability to ensure supervised staff are highly performing and producing required results/met key performance indicators. Demonstrated managerial, supervisory, and leadership skills.
• Proven proactive skills in identifying cost savings, cost avoidance and efficiency opportunities.
• Strong proficiency in English/Swahili, including strong drafting skills.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 48
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested applicants are requested to go to the apply section of the link and submit their updated 3 pages maximum CV (with three professional referees) and 1-page cover letter addressed to Mercy Corps Country Coordinator. Be sure to highlight your relevant experience and explain why you are the ideal candidate for this position. Deadline: 22nd January 2024.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.